11 blades back from heat treat!

I can see the difference in how you refined on the 2nd knife. Looks like the "scratch" pattern or grain is going left to right rather than heel to toe though. Not to say there is a right or wrong direction, I just find it easier going butt end to point or point to butt.

GCKG site: http://www.georgiaknifemakersguild.com/ I think Marsha Brewer is the treasurer and kind of runs the admin, her info is on the site under members list. I didn't want to post it here but its easy to find.
they also have a forum: http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=59

Looks like there was a meeting this past weekend, I missed the notification about it and was out of town anyway. The guild is a teaching guild meaning at each quarterly meeting there are demonstrations, knives on display and time for Q&A. Plus you'll meet makers from around the state. GA is blessed to have some really talented knifemakers and there will be guys there whos names or brands you'll recognize.

using one pin on that bolster is fine. I only use two if I use brass or nickel silver. just use some gorilla super glue when you put everything together, or a 2 ton epoxy. when doing a patina to the blade you can use any type of acid. I use a mixture of yellow mustard and lemon juice. but us more mustard because you want a some what of a paste. pat it on with you finger and let it dry till it turns black, rinse and repeat.. attracted pic to show what it will look like

Attachments

• 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 29
using one pin on that bolster is fine. I only use two if I use brass or nickel silver. just use some gorilla super glue when you put everything together, or a 2 ton epoxy. when doing a patina to the blade you can use any type of acid. I use a mixture of yellow mustard and lemon juice. but us more mustard because you want a some what of a paste. pat it on with you finger and let it dry till it turns black, rinse and repeat.. attracted pic to show what it will look like
I've seen the mustard patina done before. I think ill give that a go on my next blade. I appreciate the tips, man. Id like to do a stonewashed/tumbled look as well.

Nice work! Here is what can happen real quick with sanding. The material that you are sanding builds up on the paper or "loads up". Sanding slows down and actually can do finer work. What also can happen is load up with grit transferred to the top of the load up. So now you have sand paper that is actually courser that what you started with, has high spots and of course is inconsistent.

May I suggest you find a knife maker close to you and see if you can come by for a visit. It will really cut down on the learning curve.Any way I can help just holler ime in south Ga.

Back
Top Bottom