• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

12-16 Hunt

Bucked out this afternoon around 4:00. 16" inside spread and weighed 165.4# on the hoof.

35806.jpeg

35807.jpeg

35808.jpeg

Saw 6 does this evening, wasn’t really looking to shoot one. However my 4 year old son said shoot her daddy, and covered his ears. Shot her twice, skinned her belly the first one. Thankfully she stopped to give me a second shot. He asked when we’re hunting again, so I think I’m getting him hooked. View attachment 5092133View attachment 5092131
Congrats dad. He'll be big enough to tote a rifle before you know it!

Had a first gen doe in front of me 20 min into my hunt this evening.
Came in to some nose jammer that I decided to try.
She was too small so I enjoyed her antics for a while before the wind shifted and she bolted.

Finally got a chance to bring my girlfriend hunting with me this afternoon for the first time this season. Started seeing deer shortly after getting into box stand. Around 5:15 had a big, wide 8 point come out in the back corner of the pecan orchard at 200 yards. She wasn't comfortable with taking the shot at that distance. She has shot before but not much over 100 yds. I've been trying to help her get her first buck in Georgia for a few years now, but she wouldnt settle for anything small and haven't had a lot of time to get her more practice shooting.

So we keep watching this buck, and the 3 smaller bucks he came out with, as they slowly worked their way down the fence line towards our direction. My gf kept getting frustrated every time the big one would get behind a huge pecan tree or stop where low hanging limbs were preventing a clean shot. He took his time working scrapes and grazing rye grass as he made his way down the fence line.

There were a couple times he stopped where she had a clear broadside shot, but he moved again before she could get her scope settled on him. Finally after a little over 30 minutes of watching and waiting, he gets to a more open area in front of us. And of course stops right behind a tree. He finally steps out from the tree and now he is facing us and it's getting dark quick.

My gf wanted to wait for a broadside shot, but I wasn't sure she would get one while there was still enough light. So I told her as soon as he lifts his again, shoot him right at the base of his neck/throat. I tried whistling at him, which he didn't seem to notice. Then I yelled at him, also didn't seem to notice. Finally I made a pretty poor impression of a deer grunt a couple times and he picks his head up. She takes the shot and I watch him kick and go down. I turned and gave her a high five and a big hug.

I am beyond proud of her for her patience and resolve to wait for a good buck and then the patience to wait for a good shot and manage to execute the shot perfectly. Shot was taken at about 125 yards with a 6.5 Creedmoor. Deer was about a 230lb 8 point. Inside spread a little over 17 inches.

PXL_20221217_000609428.jpg
PXL_20221216_232608307.jpg
PXL_20221216_232542394.jpg

Back
Top Bottom