• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

12 Reasons Why Your Venison Tastes Like Hell

Yeah I wish I knew more about how to properly prepare deer, but I've really never seen it done properly and I've just always done it wrong I am quite certain

Keep it simple. All the steps listed are good advice. We had bacon wrapped backstraps for dinner Saturday night. You can't get anything that good at a restaurant. One of my favorites when we have a crowd in camp is pot roast hind quarter. I take an entire hind quarter that has been boned out, season with salt and pepper and brown it my large cast iron dutch oven on every side. While I'm browning I put a big pot of water on to boil and add fresh quartered onions and some beef bouillon cubes. I add the beef broth to the pan to just barely cover the roast and turn the heat down to a very low simmer. I will start this around 3-3:30 in the afternoon. When I come out of the woods after the evening hunt I quarter up some potatoes and add them and some baby carrots, and a few more cut up onions. 45 minutes later it's ready to roll. It pushes apart with a spatula and is super tasty and really moist.

Back
Top Bottom