• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

1911 Commander

stalker1911

Default rank <500 posts Supporter
Survivalist
5   0
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a Commander size 1911 to add to the collection. Something in the $700.00 range. So, if you had this for a budget what model would you go after ? I'm leaning toward a SR1911CMD.

The Rugers seem to get rave reviews but when I handled one I was impressed. I could push on the barrel hood and it would go out of battery just a bit, a big no for me. Those AC 1911s seem to have much better lockup and feel good, but then again its AC. Ruger will have MUCH better CS if it is needed.

if you can find one get the Auto Ordnance ZG51 also known as the Pit Bull. In the 90s I owned a Colt full size Series 80 and a built from the frame up Caspian Officers size with finger groove frame, fat barrel with no barrel bushing, full length guide rod flat mainspring housing and beveled mag well. A good friend named Henry Avant was the gunsmith at Macon Gun and Pawn back then and he built it exactly how I wanted it. Even at friend prices it was over a thousand in 1996 dollars.
At the same time another friend got the 1911 fever and I got him to order the Pit Bull. It came in a plain Jane cardboard box. It was about $350.00 back then. But I swear to you I liked it better than the one I had built. Sometimes you can find a Pit Bull or two on Gunbroker. I highly recommend it.

For around $700 you can get a Magnum Research DE1911 Compact. I've shot one before and it was a great gun. The only thing I would choose over that in that price range is a Springfield Champion if you can find one...Or save up a couple more hundred dollars and have several more options.

Back
Top Bottom