1911 Dilemma

Please don't feel like I'm knocking the Garrison I'm a fan of all Springfield guns. I hear people knocking Springfield thinking that they're a low-end gun and it's just not the case. If you have the money to have a Wilson Combat 1911 in your safe well good for you but that does not make the Springfield a bad gun. They have been making those guns a long time and they make a great product and they continue to make a great product. Probably one of the only guns that hasn't had the ups and downs and quality during all this horse manure. It just comes down to a few features between guns but if one has been altered then you don't get a fair assessment of either gun and I think that's what happened in my case. The Garrison's a fine weapon and I would own one in a heartbeat.

don't feel like you were knocking the Garrison at all, and even if you were it doesn't bother me. I was just pointing out that it is far from an entry-level offering from SAI. In my opinion it's the next best thing they offer after the Professional.

don't feel like you were knocking the Garrison at all, and even if you were it doesn't bother me. I was just pointing out that it is far from an entry-level offering from SAI. In my opinion it's the next best thing they offer after the Professional.

The garrison is their entry level offering. Besides the milspec it’s the cheapest thing they make.
TRP is a much nicer pistol than the garrison. Big gap between a $800 garrison and a $3200 professional

I use to have a love affair with the 1911 for 30+ years and owned many then one day it died. The only semi auto handgun I own now is a Glock 19 Gen 2. If **** gets bad I'm grabbing a carbine or a shotty though or maybe a lever gun. Hard to decide. Maybe even a revolver.

Lol dude joined on Saturday and got permabanned by Tuesday.

To answer the OP, I'm sure the blue bloods will get their panties in a wad over this but I really don't notice a huge difference between the different flavors of 1911 out there. My $350 Rock Island GI has no problem putting rounds on center mass at 10 to 15 yards. Unless you are shooting competitions what more do you really want?

To answer the OP, I'm sure the blue bloods will get their panties in a wad over this but I really don't notice a huge difference between the different flavors of 1911 out there. My $350 Rock Island GI has no problem putting rounds on center mass at 10 to 15 yards. Unless you are shooting competitions what more do you really want?
Agreed. I owned a Ruger 1911 commander, Tisas 1911 with rail, and RIA 10mm single stack and honestly I can make any of them shoot within minute of center of mass with confidence.

Agreed. I owned a Ruger 1911 commander, Tisas 1911 with rail, and RIA 10mm single stack and honestly I can make any of them shoot within minute of center of mass with confidence.
I forgot I also had a Kimber custom II that I happened to be lucky with where I did not have any failures with it while I owned it in the few hundred rounds I ran though it.

The garrison is their entry level offering. Besides the milspec it’s the cheapest thing they make.
TRP is a much nicer pistol than the garrison. Big gap between a $800 garrison and a $3200 professional

See that is where opinion comes into play.

Garrison has,

Better finish
Better recoil system
Better safety
Better slide serrations
Same barrel
Same cut sights (although the TRP are night sights if that's all you are after)
Same frame
Same slide

The only real advantage I see the TRP having over the Garrison is the front strap checkering which while something I normally demand on my 1911s, I would much rather pay someone to checker the front strap of the Garrison than have to swap the safety and the recoil system, and still have a gun with ugly ass slide serrations and a crapy cerakote finish.

For a carry gun the Cerakote finish would be better than the Blue from a longevity standpoint, but I am way beyond my days of carrying a 1911 every day. For a carry gun, give me a Glock.

I am not looking at the price, the price of SAI guns is irrelevant to me. Honestly, I don't even normally consider SAI guns as in my opinion there are better options for all of their offerings.

That said, the only two SAI guns I own are a Garrison and a Professional. I don't carry or shoot either. The Garrison lives on my desk and the pro lives in my safe.

See that is where opinion comes into play.

Garrison has,

Better finish
Better recoil system
Better safety
Better slide serrations
Same barrel
Same cut sights (although the TRP are night sights if that's all you are after)
Same frame
Same slide

The only real advantage I see the TRP having over the Garrison is the front strap checkering which while something I normally demand on my 1911s, I would much rather pay someone to checker the front strap of the Garrison than have to swap the safety and the recoil system, and still have a gun with ugly ass slide serrations and a crapy cerakote finish.

For a carry gun the Cerakote finish would be better than the Blue from a longevity standpoint, but I am way beyond my days of carrying a 1911 every day. For a carry gun, give me a Glock.

I am not looking at the price, the price of SAI guns is irrelevant to me. Honestly, I don't even normally consider SAI guns as in my opinion there are better options for all of their offerings.

That said, the only two SAI guns I own are a Garrison and a Professional. I don't carry or shoot either. The Garrison lives on my desk and the pro lives in my safe.

TRP is cerakote now? That’s dumb. That Armory Kote finish was good stuff.

Back
Top Bottom