• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1938 Carcano Fucile Corto

bradlee787

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
26   0
Reaction score
I came accross this Carcano today, in 7.35, and got it for relatively cheap. I knew nothing about them till I looked it up on the web. Best I can tell it's a 1938 (first year production) Terni Fucile Corto (short rifle. Has the SA stamp so it was used by the Finns. Some other stamping I can't exactly find meaning for. No markings on the stock, except for at the very end (muzzle), it appears something was carved in, on either side of the bayonet lug. Looks like an ornate squiggle, resebling a backwards three, and a chevron .
wondering if any of you C&R guys, with knowledge on these, and semi-near me, would be willing to check this one out? Let me know exactly what the story of this one is, atleast based on markings, and an approximate value.

Also, is 7.35x51 available anywhere now? and some of the stripper clips. I'm itching to shoot this thing ;)

Okay, so ammo is pretty much a no go.

Anyone have a general estimation of value on these rifles, as a collector. Being a first year production, and a Finn acquired specimen. I'm looking to trade a guy at work, but can't really find a value anywhere.

Last edited:
Most famous for the gun Oswald used to kill Kennedy but his was 6.5x52 caliber. 7.35 Ammo is plentiful on Gunbroker and Gun Shows in either New or MilSurp. I have 2 Carcano's. One is a Calvary Carbine in 6.5 with folding spike bayonet and the other is a M38 like yours but in the 8mm configuration which the Nazi's converted near the end of WWII. The Nazi 8mm's are very rare if you ever run across one. Value is highly subjective but most Carcano's can be had for between $175 to $250 depending on condition. Hope this helps.

Approximately 94,500 7.35 mm Modello 1938 rifles were shipped to Finland, where they were known as Terni carbines.[SUP][5][/SUP] They were primarily used by security and line-of-communications troops during the Winter War of 1939–1940, though some frontline troops were issued the weapon.[SUP][5][/SUP] According to reports, the Finns disliked the rifle.[SUP][5][/SUP] With its non-standard 7.35 mm caliber, it was problematic to keep frontline troops supplied with ammunition, and its non-adjustable rear sight (fixed for 300 m) made it ill-suited for use in precision shooting at the varied ranges encountered by Finnish soldiers during the conflict.[SUP][5][/SUP] Soldiers also complained that the ammunition demonstrated excessive bullet dispersion on the target.[SUP][5][/SUP] Whenever possible, Finnish soldiers discarded the weapon in favor of rifles acquired on the battlefield,[SUP][5][/SUP] including standard models of captured Soviet-made Mosin–Nagant rifles. The latter at least had the advantage of using commonly available 7.62×54mmR ammunition. By the outbreak of the Continuation War, Finnish Army headquarters had got the message. The remaining Mod. 1938 7.35 mm rifles were issued to the Finnish Navy, as well as anti-aircraft, coastal defense, and other second-line (home front) troops.[SUP][[/SUP]

Thanks guys.

I have seen ammo around, but for original surplus, it looks like the going rate is about $40/18 rds on enblocs. Thats just over $2/rd, which isn't a rate I would be willing to pay. I'm wanting a nice milsurp carbine that I can actually afford to shoot, and keep a decent stock of ammo for, and it just doesn't look like the 7.35 is in my budget at all.

Back
Top Bottom