• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

1942 SA M1 Garand Range Report - with Garand Gear Gas Plug

10thmountain

Default rank 5000+ posts
American Warhorse.
121   0
Reaction score
I took out a 1942 SA M1 Garand and used this product :http://www.garandgear.com/ported-gas-plug.html

I really like it. Looks similar to the GI gas plug and installs exactly the same way. Took me less that 1 minute to install.

The science or data says it limits the impulse or pressure on you Op Rod. Which cost $100 -$200 depending on what you want.

Basically it lets you shoot 30-06 you can buy off the shelf.

Pic 1 The rifle. 1942 SA with a Basically new barrel, I have never shot a M1 with ME and TW readings of 1. Its like driving a Shelby Cobra - Built by Mr. Shelby.

IMG_2779.JPG

I used some Ballistic tip Georgia Arms 165 grain Ammo and Regular Privi M1 Spec ball ammo.

IMG_2781.JPG

1. First 9 shots - Slow fire standing. First Shot impacted at 2 o'clock. (Shot a single to check for function). Loaded Enbloc. First 4 shots impacted at at 8 O'clock. Second were spot on. That's a tight goup!

IMG_2780.JPG

Second 8 Shots were Privi M1 Garand 150 grain Ammo. I was shooting STANDING RAPID FIRE. 8 shots in 90 seconds.

IMG_2782.JPG

Lastly this is my Father in Laws private range. Tarp for catching brass, Bag, Bucket, Target. About 50 yards.

IMG_2785.JPG

So in the end would I buy a Garand Gear gas plug? You betcha. I didn't even think about the op rod. What I did think about was good technique with my sling and glove during Standing Rapid and Slow fire for matches and enjoying my experience.

I've run the Garand Gear plug for a couple of years now, and it works like a champ. I've shot 'Garand safe' and more generic 30-06 with it and have never seen any kind of signs the that op-rod is being beat up.

I don't use hunting ammo in it, mainly because it's expensive, but I'm pretty sure it would function OK without beating up the gun too badly.

I do have a friend that reloads, and he found that if he stayed at the bottom of the load-data, the gun wouldn't cycle with the GG plug, but it works fine with factory stuff, whether 'Garand safe' or not, so I'm thinking it's more his reloads than the plug.

I usually shoot "Garand' ammo anyways, but I look at this as cheap insurance that simply works.

I've run the Garand Gear plug for a couple of years now, and it works like a champ. I've shot 'Garand safe' and more generic 30-06 with it and have never seen any kind of signs the that op-rod is being beat up.

I don't use hunting ammo in it, mainly because it's expensive, but I'm pretty sure it would function OK without beating up the gun too badly.

I do have a friend that reloads, and he found that if he stayed at the bottom of the load-data, the gun wouldn't cycle with the GG plug, but it works fine with factory stuff, whether 'Garand safe' or not, so I'm thinking it's more his reloads than the plug.

I usually shoot "Garand' ammo anyways, but I look at this as cheap insurance that simply works.
Reloading for a M1 is the Pandoras box of reloading. I would think you would not need this plug is you load powder on the light side.

Reloading for a M1 is the Pandoras box of reloading. I would think you would not need this plug is you load powder on the light side.

They have Garand specific load data that I use, but the plug would be nice for when the hoards of Hilary supports leave the ghettos to attack the tax payers. I want to be able to send all lead down range with no chance of hurting my rifle.

Back
Top Bottom