2 down, 1 to go...

Bushwhacker

Default rank <4000 posts Lifetime Supporter
Unmitigated Badassery
119   0
Reaction score
I've had a pretty good year thus far. They definitely aren't as numerous as in the 90's and 2000's but we've had a steady increase the last couple years. Not because of what I've killed or that I could have limited out but if you go on the DNR app you can see county by county harvest numbers. Many counties have already exceeded last years numbers before the 3rd weekend of the season. Not sure if it's the unseasonably warm weather we had it just a higher than suggested poultry per hen rate last couple years.

Anyway, I killed one opening morning (mid-morning), heard very little gobbling on the roost, got one to answer me about 10:30, he came in hot though and under 5minutes was flopping. That is pic 1. The following Saturday the second bird was roosted with a couple other tom's, gobbled their heads off on the limb, gathered up a few hems and promptly went the opposite direction. I came back around to that spot a couple hours later and was able to strike them and call them back in after the hens left em. I rolled what I thought was the dominant bird. He had 1.25 " spurs. Funny thing is, I've been trying to get my son his first bird and he's hung in pretty good. Hunted hard Thursday and Friday with a couple close(ish) encounters but nada, on Saturday he wanted to sleep in so I told him I was going anyway, of course that's when I have 3 inside 30 yards and roll my second one of the season. That's the way it works...
20200328_083859.jpg
bird #1
Bird #2
20200328_121614.jpg

20200328_110145.jpg

Back
Top Bottom