2010 Honday Odyssey

spistols

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
310   0
Reaction score
A good family friend of ours who is down on their luck due to a sudden major family illness just had some codes come up on their 2010 Honda Odyssey with 122K miles. Very well maintained and purchased used from a Honda dealer in 2014.

One of the codes indicates misfire. I followed behind on the highway and noted that in a 40 mile drive it puffed a couple of times black smoke clouds, and the driver told me the van shook a bit when this happened. During idle, I did note some hesitation and possible skipping.

We took it to the Honda dealer, and they came back with the piston rings are gone and the rings need to be rebuilt on one side of the engine- $4800.....in my opinion, I feel like calling them up and saying- GTFOH!

I am not a Honda tech, nor am I stupid. I would agree that piston rings are bad if it is constantly blowing blue smoke. I totally feel they are trying to take advantage of the situation. And, their extended warranty expired in January 2022.

Any ideas of possible problems without me researching the exact codes it threw?

Or, any honest Honda techs/shops in the Tucker, Doraville, Chamblee area?

Can you make it to Duluth?

Someone from ODT recommended this place and they've always done right by us. They recently replaced the timing belt on our '05 Pilot.

fellow 2010 odyssey owner here. was having the shuddering and smoke several times. engine was fouling up cores and having to replace plugs and coil packs every 400 or so miles due to the VTEC system not cycling on and off correctly and oil getting into the cylinder and goofing it up. Found a product that goes between the engine thermo and the computer that keeps it from kicking into "eco" mode which was what was jamming me up. not a mechanic but might be worth taking it somewhere to run the codes like autozone. I was having misfires on cylinder 1 i think. I'll dig around and see if i can find the little cable listing, it was like 40 bucks on ebay.

If rings are stuck, I would try an overnight soak with MMO. It works great on Saturns with bad rings.

I believe that is what one of the codes was reading- Misfire on Cylinder 1. And the plugs were fouled on one side.
here you go!

after doing a bunch of reading in the past, seems to be a known issue with that model/year but honda told me to pound sand when I asked them to make it right. Id have the coil pack and plugs replaced on the cylinder thats screwing up then you just play with the different modules on that plug til you find one that keeps the eco light off. was having the issue consistenly and haven't in several years. gas mileage will go down noticeably however :(

As calebp stated, The plugs foul due to the rings getting sealed with burning oil.
The ECO system that disables 3 cylinders on the back of the engine is the culprit.
Well known and documented problem for Honda engines.
This is a mega thread on Ody club .com. Read this and it will explain all the problems Honda has had.
Don't change the coils, they are not your problem.
Change the plugs and Muzzle the VCM system. Many times doing this will fix the ring problem
just by driving a couple thousand miles.
Mike

A good family friend of ours who is down on their luck due to a sudden major family illness just had some codes come up on their 2010 Honda Odyssey with 122K miles. Very well maintained and purchased used from a Honda dealer in 2014.

One of the codes indicates misfire. I followed behind on the highway and noted that in a 40 mile drive it puffed a couple of times black smoke clouds, and the driver told me the van shook a bit when this happened. During idle, I did note some hesitation and possible skipping.

We took it to the Honda dealer, and they came back with the piston rings are gone and the rings need to be rebuilt on one side of the engine- $4800.....in my opinion, I feel like calling them up and saying- GTFOH!

I am not a Honda tech, nor am I stupid. I would agree that piston rings are bad if it is constantly blowing blue smoke. I totally feel they are trying to take advantage of the situation. And, their extended warranty expired in January 2022.

Any ideas of possible problems without me researching the exact codes it threw?

Or, any honest Honda techs/shops in the Tucker, Doraville, Chamblee area?
Which bank is supposed to have the bad rings?
There's a ton of stuff on the net but without more information you'll just get confused.

Back
Top Bottom