• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.22 hornet subsonic

jcwat

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
124   0
Reaction score
ok, so I have convinced myself that I need a .22 hornet rifle so I can reload subsonic for it. .22lr sub ammo is out there but is pricey and sometimes hard to find. Does anybody have any pet loads? I already use trailboss for my .308 so powder I plan on sticking with it. Also, any help on bullet choice? Bullet weight matched to rifle twist. I guess I will end up with a RUGER 77/22H. I have delved into to specs yet(not like me???)

I have a 77/22 hornet (and LR version). Just recently considered subs in the Hornet. I had always just assumed when things were rated for 22H, that it was mainly just for ear safe rounds vs. actual subs in the rifle. The gist of it was that the heavy bullets (69gr+) were not good with the standard twist on the 77/22h barrels so you needed to go to a 1:7 or something. OE is 1:14 in the Ruger I think.

There's a link below to a thread on ST about 22hornet subs and what he did to make his work. if you find anyone local that might be able to perform this conversion, let me know, I might be interested in having one done as well... or maybe I'll just go with my contender barrel or something..

when I looked a while ago the standard barrel blanks were pretty easy to come by, but having it fitted/threaded might be something different. one of these days after I get a can or two I figured I'd run by Dobbs and see if he could help me out. but whatever you find out, let me know. Unlike the 77/22lr and 10/22 it's a full threaded barrel to receiver action vs. v-block like the 10/22. no quick change for me unfortunately.

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=127020

anyway keep me posted on what you find but it seems like if you want to run heavy subs in a hornet you'll have to pop for a new barrel.

What I've come across is about what you have. Twist rate not good for heavier bullets. I would have to rebarrel. That not cost effective. Maybe I will change directions and look for a .223 with the proper twist for heifer bullets

1st off why??? Maybe use a can on it??? The twist is all wrong in a ruger for heavy bullets,so like someone posted a new barrel with gunsmith work and a few $$ later you may have it.Why not another 77/22 in 22LR run shorts through it with short capable 10/22 mags,I can tell you for a fact it is really quiet without a can!!!!! I know that you can't reload these which may be the draw to the Hornet in the 1st place.

Back
Top Bottom