.264 Win Mag bullet seating

Split the case neck, put bullet in case, slowly chamber the case, carefully remove from chamber and measure, do this .5 times to make sure the measurements are consistent.
Back the bullet the recommended distance from the lands that you find is common with your caliber.
Thank you. That is so simple I didn't even think of it. I always look for complicated remedies. Again, thanks.

Reason to load into the lands:

1. resistance at the time of ignition offered by the lands replaces the need for a crimp.

2. Accuracy may be improved by minimizing the bullet jump as the bullet is more likely to be aligned with the bore. This is more likely a benefit on rifles that are not custom blueprinted and trued.

Reason not to load a long COL:

1.The cartridge may not feed from, or fit into a magazine.

2. Some rifles have such a long throats that you cannot reach the lands and seat the bullet sufficiently deep into the cases—my 243 is like this with light bullets, or VLD type bullets.

3. If you jam it too tightly into the lands, the bullet may pull apart if you try to eject a live round-makes a mess; don’t forget to retrieve the bullet before ramming another behind it.

You just have to test a few to see what works best.

Yes, I was having the problem of it jamming the bullets so deeply they would lodge in the barrel and pull out of the case when ejected (unfired, of course). Never had this problem with any bullet but these Match Burners. Thanks.

This info might be beneficial, you may already have it. I could not find data for the 120 grain Match Burner, but they do have some data for other 120’s.

https://www.barnesbullets.com/load-data/

Looking at the Hodgdon reloading data from their website, it looks like you started out with less than the recommended powder weight. This may or may not be correct for your bullets, and may not pose any problems. Generally, when looking at the Hodgdon data, I find that if I start in the middle and go from there, better accuracy is attained on an initial load.

View attachment 3179951
I was using an old Speer manual to work up a load for those bullets, as the Speer bullet I used to use is unavailable now, and started in the middle of it's recommendations. I immediately ran into the bullet jamming in the rifling. Now, to work that loading up some. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom