• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2x72 belt grinder

Files make good blades so long as they are OLD files. Many new ones have crap metal as a core, and then the hardened layer on top, which you typically grind away when making the knife.

Also, make sure that you temper it. Leaving it hardened is fine for a sharp edge, but files can be very brittle. Dropping it on the floor can shatter them.

As a full time maker, I have used and owned many 2x72 grinders. Decide what level you are wanting to achieve and go from there. Currently I am running a TW90, by far the best grinder IMO on the market today. Comes with a hefty price tag, but for me, well with it. I highly suggest variable speed, preferably a VFD, but a step system will work also. If you are ever in the braselton area, you can swing by the shop. I am a partner in Pops Knife Supply and have my workshop at the same facility. Between the partners, there are tw90s, KMG, Wilmont, and Ameribrade grinders.

Also, for those of you interested in learning knifemaking, feel free to come to a Georgia Custom Knifemakers Guild meeting. There are four a year, next one is in August in Blairesville, then October at Pop’s Knife Supply. Open to the public. Georgia has a large presence in the knifemaker world.

Blade Show is in August, (largest knife show in the world at Cobb galleria) also has classes and southeastern handmade knife show is the last weekend in August at Jaemor Farms.

Back
Top Bottom