• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

300 Blackout accuracy and performance questioned?

I have a 16" carbine gassed home build 300 that has functioned great. The accuracy with 125 Noslers has been exceptional. If you plan to use it as a hunting rifle, I'd strongly suggest the 6.8 SPC instead.

I have both, and the 300 cal is geared more for silencing, and close range tactical use. The 6.8 in its spec II chambering and 1/11 or 12 twist rate is a far superior hunting choice. It quickly became my favorite soon after getting my first one a few years back.

ON Savage

300 AAC Blackout Chambering Cancelled:Some time ago, Savage announced it would be chambering the Model 10 Precision Carbine in 300 AAC Blackout. Since that time, we have tested many variants of this cartridge in various barrel lengths and rates of twist. This exhaustive testing left us quite unsatisfied with the accuracy we were able to get from the subsonic loads in this chambering. Accuracy with the lighter, faster loads in this caliber was actually quite good. But we believethe real value in this cartridge lies in the use of subsonic loads for suppressed rifles. Therefore we have decided to scrap the project.It is our understanding that pushing these heavy, slow bullets presents challenges not found in typical loadings and that our experience is not unique. Subsequently, many in the industryhave simply adopted a lower standard for accuracy for these subsonic loads. While this does seem reasonable and we don't criticize any in our industry that have taken this approach,it just won't work for Savage. Our brand was built on accuracy and we are too protective of our reputation for building the most accurate factory rifles available. We would rather walk away from this opportunity than sell a product that requires an explanation.

What product doesn't require an explanation?

Is there some do-all caliber/mm that works in every possible chambering/weight on everything from CQB to long range sniper that doesn't have any disclaimers? Sounds like somebody refusing to make a .22 gun because it won't reliably cycle 22LR, 22 MinMag, CB caps and 22 Short and with the same accuracy.

Just wondering...

300 with 125 Gr is basicaly an AK round(7.62x39) as far as real world performance..plenty enough to kill a deer within 150 yards. built a mauser bolt action 7.62 for the Nephew and he certainly found it a deer killer.. the Nosler 125 BT or Barnes 110 would be my choice..

no question the 6.8 SPC is better at longer range.

nice thing abou the 300 is that if you don't like it....swap the barrel out....that's it as far as parts go to convert it to a 223

Last edited:
300 with 125 Gr is basicaly an AK round(7.62x39) as far as real world performance..plenty enough to kill a deer within 150 yards. build a mauser bolt action 7.62 for the Nephew and he certainly found it a deer killer.. the Nosler 125 BT or Barnes 110 would be my choice..

no question the 6.8 SPC is better at longer range.

nice thing abou the 300 is that if you don't like it....swap the barrel out....that's it as far as parts go to convert it to a 223

Well and a $8 flash hider / muzzle device but now I'm being a jackass.

Back
Top Bottom