• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

300 BO Busy weekend

Shovelhead

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
82   0
Reaction score
Well I put my chop saw , possum hollow trimmer, and my press through the wringer this weekend.
I have approximately 3000 empty Lake City brass destined to be converted to 300 BO. I'm
about 1/3 of the way after 12 hours. Not all at one seating I'd go bonkers if I tried that.

1000 +/- 300 Blackout converted cases.

i43.tinypic.com_23t5isp.jpg

awesome! I have only converted around a hundred so far. Have you had any issues properly forming the shoulders on any of the LC brass? I had a couple that just would not form/give the proper should dimensions.

I had seen online that some other folks were have similar issues with certain batches of LC brass.

I'm going to be mailing off some brass to a gentleman that is going to convert it for me.

Send him 800 pieces of brass, get back 500 plus converted ready to load. I have ZERO invested in the brass itself so all I really have in it is sorting time and the money it takes to ship him the brass.

I've maybe 10-15 cases that would'nt form and crush when sizing so something < 1%. I still like LC. I too have zero money tied up in my 223 brass. It does take time , once I got a stepped process down it went pretty well. I have to still anneal this first 1000 cases. I'd like to automate that procedure but the cost out weighs doing it manually.

There is a guy on 300blktalk that will anneal for 3 cents each. I'm not sure if it's necessary though. And I'm pretty sure that Copper Creek Cartridge company will anneal.

Sometimes it's easier to offer your services of doing something on an expensive piece of equipment to help offset the cost.

As soon as I can get a new motor for my stainless steel tumbler I'm going to offer that service to people here on ODT. Gonna offer primer pocket swaging of military brass too.

I'm an old cheap bastard... $.03 per round vs $.00 I know a certain subscriber here at ODT that has the exact annealing setup I'd like. Maybe he will see this thread and offer his services :D For trades....

I'm an old cheap bastard... $.03 per round vs $.00 I know a certain subscriber here at ODT that has the exact annealing setup I'd like. Maybe he will see this thread and offer his services :D For trades....

It's not quite free.....you gotta supply the heat source.

But on a more serious note. A deep socket is a pretty good heat sink to keep the heat in the shoulder, also mapp gas burns hotter than propane.

I've seen some home built annealers that worked pretty good.

I've maybe 10-15 cases that would'nt form and crush when sizing so something < 1%. I still like LC. I too have zero money tied up in my 223 brass. It does take time , once I got a stepped process down it went pretty well. I have to still anneal this first 1000 cases. I'd like to automate that procedure but the cost out weighs doing it manually.

yeah, I have only had 2 so far, both LC brass. I am currently running a wilson stainless match barrel so I dont plan on have too much brass laying around. Of course, I would like to get a beater chrome or chrome moly to burn on.

Maybe someday. It is just a hunting rifle presently and a box of 20 hunters last a couple years.

It's not quite free.....you gotta supply the heat source.

But on a more serious note. A deep socket is a pretty good heat sink to keep the heat in the shoulder, also mapp gas burns hotter than propane.

I've seen some home built annealers that worked pretty good.

I had a mapp/oxy set up that worked extremely well... using propane now until I can pick up a refil on the mapp

Back
Top Bottom