• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

308 and 7.62x51

07JKX

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
106   0
Reaction score
Can a 7.62x51 case be used in a .308 full length sizer to bring it into spec for good use in a 308 bolt action rifle?

I have come across a large supply of once fired 7.62x51 brass (some primer crimped and others not) for a very good price.

This will be used in a bolt action rifle and for the purpose of working up accurate loads. Just wanting to see the opinions on this or if I should just stick with .308 stamped brass

You will be good to go. I do it all the time with LC brass.

Beware the case capacity will be about 2 grains less than the commercial, so any advertised .308 Winchester loads need to be backed off and worked up.

In my opinion....
Clean well, lub well, full length size, swag or ream primer pockets to get rid of the crimp, trim to length, sort by head stamp and you will have excellent brass.
I would suggest that you check the web for early signs of head separation. Head spacing and chambers are on the loose side in military weapons (M60s) for non-stop performance. This is simple to do. Un-bend a large metal paper clip (see photo), run the sharp hook into the case and rub across the web. If it is ruff, you will know. Image.JPG

ALWAYS work up your loads from the stated/listed starting load data.

Be safe and enjoy,

OSOK

Back
Top Bottom