• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

.35 Remington

squirrel

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
49   0
Reaction score
Just picked up one of these old dandys in a Marlin 336. I love hunting with these classic lever guns. I figure since I load my 30-30 with 125gr hp scooching along pretty fast, the .35 might be handy for punching larger,deeper holes in various (tougher) critters. Anyone have any pet loads in this caliber? Ive considered ordering some of the Hornady 200gr FTX bullets(a.k.a. leverevolution bullets, gummy bear tips), or maybe a Hawk bullet in 220-250 grn.(I have no experience with these) But I thought for hog or black bear maybe a tougher bullet would be in order? Im also very interested in Montana Bullets Cast RCBS gas-chacked Flat nose. Looks like a bone smasher to me, though in honesty I've not done much hunting with cast lead bullets ( sure do like the price though). Any input on your experiences would be appreciated.

I've hunted with my 336 in .35 Remington since I was a teenager (back in the Dark Ages)...but I have never loaded for it. Mine's plenty accurate with Remington Core-Lokt 200 grain rounds, so I never developed a load for it. I have contemplated trying the LeveRevolution rounds...but I have all but retired the old Marlin these days.

Sorry...not much help, I know. But you're right...it will punch holes in tough animals.

Id noticed the average price of a box of rem corlocts around $30, and Ive got roughly 300 pieces of brass for it, so I figured hey might as well loadem'up.

you can get 100 Hornady FTX 200gr bullets for about $50. I just sold a bunch on here a week or so ago....not that that helps....lol

R-P cases (1x fired, FL resized)
200 grn RNCL
Fed GM210
LVR powder, 42, 43, 44, 45c.
seated to cannelure. (2.52)
Firm crimp from LFCD
Nestled in at 100 yards.Over all results impressive. More so than I imagined from the first bullet/powder combination Ive tried in the gun. Nothing was showing sticky extraction, no flattened primers, etc. 42 and 43 gr were nothing to balk at, around a 3" grp but 44 and 45 gr became very interesting. 44 gr grouping was odd- 3 shots into a single ragged hole, and then the last two in another, seperate, albeit larger ragged hole just above it. I beleive if memory serves the grp measured 1.17 in. The 45 gr grp was around 1.6 inches ( 4 shot grp, as I threw one) but also showed promise. I may try 43.5 gr and 44.5 gr loads and see if Im near a velocity node, just not quite on it. Since its a 5 shot grp the climb on the 44 grn load could just be heating and I should leave well enough alone, but whats the fun in that.

Attachments

• 44grn.jpg
    44grn.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 45grn.jpg
    45grn.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 115
very nice. the 35 in the lever actions isn't really well known as being a tack driver, but it's a great all around cartridge for hunting deer. I have my grandfathers Win 141 and it was my main deer rifle for a long time. old school, but it just worked for me the first time I shot it.

I haven't really bothered to get the "perfect" load for it, as it's good enough for deer but maybe it's time to take it out one of these days and see how it groups.

also have a contender in 35 that I shoot 150 and 180gr SP's thru it but it's more for "shock and awe" at the range and putting the odd pumpkin down. ;)

Get you some 35 cal pistol bullets and make you up some light loads with it.
They are a lot of fun!!!!
Cast bullets and a light charge of pistol powder can be a lot of fun!!!!

Tom

Back
Top Bottom