• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

350 Chevy engine advice

Your heads all have the same angle for the intake bolts, they all go in at the same angle. The vortex heads have the same angle on all except the 2 on each side right beside the carb, those 4 go in more straight up and down. I have put many a old model 4 bbl intake on newer engines and this is what I always done. Never had a problem.

Doesn't the vortec intake have better flow? Also, when we did this on my old Nova I had sealing issues around the intake runners.

Doesn't the vortec intake have better flow? Also, when we did this on my old Nova I had sealing issues around the intake runners.

Im sure the vortec would be better. but when doing it on a budget, 10 min's with a drill and the old intake will do just fine. All ya do is put the drill through the hole, Start it spinning and then stand it up, it just elongates the hole. I've done this on 6 or 7 (can't remember now) and always had very good luck.

To the op, I have a set of double hump heads with the accessory holes, they have screw in studs, guide plates and 1.6 roller rockers. Had them on a Jeep Wrangler I used to have, I put a Chevy 350 with turbo 350 auto trans in the Jeep and drove it a few years. Sold it to a guy who didn't want the hopped up engine, so I put a 350 out of a 97 chevy truck in it and still have the other engine.

A junkyard 5.3 could be had for $500. Toss on a intake and ign system then swap your carb over. 300hp stock.....

I had actually thought about this as well and if the upgrade looked to be to pricey it would definitely be a possibility. Will a 700R4 with a whatever the transfer case is (seems like it started with an N) bolt right up to the 5.3?

Im sure the vortec would be better. but when doing it on a budget, 10 min's with a drill and the old intake will do just fine. All ya do is put the drill through the hole, Start it spinning and then stand it up, it just elongates the hole. I've done this on 6 or 7 (can't remember now) and always had very good luck.

To the op, I have a set of double hump heads with the accessory holes, they have screw in studs, guide plates and 1.6 roller rockers. Had them on a Jeep Wrangler I used to have, I put a Chevy 350 with turbo 350 auto trans in the Jeep and drove it a few years. Sold it to a guy who didn't want the hopped up engine, so I put a 350 out of a 97 chevy truck in it and still have the other engine.

Are the heads ready to run or would they need to be gone through? You can pm me a price on them or feel free to post it in here. Thanks,

Also I'll probably be slow to respond but in this thread due to being at work but I will respond :thumb:

There's a machine shop a couple of miles from the house that does outstanding work for a reliable price, so if I rebuild them they will get that job.

So I have a 85 GMC Jimmy that has a burnt valve, so I'm at a crossroad of do I do a valve job on the current factor heads or upgrade to a set of double hump heads/vortex/etc? It has a crate motor with ~40K on it. It had a crack in the manifold at the head of the valve that is burnt so I'm positive that is want cause it to burn the valve so needless to say a new set of manifolds or perhaps a set of headers are in order too? Now I'm not a big Chevy guy nor are any over my friends so that way I'm looking here for advice. Is it worth the extra cash to upgrade the parts or just rebuild the factory stuff? FYI I will need accessory mounts on the new heads if I go that route. Thanks in advance,
first is it carbed,second get rid of the carb and put a Holley if not emission tested the quadrajet(eec controlled float) are set lean from the factory and if fuel pressure isnt quit as good as new stock under mild load or towing it will burn the valves usually on the back cylinders #7 and or #8 and the crack in manifold was caused by rapid cooling after high heat due to lean condition,change heads to vortex and you will have to change the intake manifold too,if you go to double hump heads you will raise the compression of the motor and you will need to run 91 or higher gas put a good set of #882 heads or any of the after market heads the 882/76cc heads have all accessory holes in them ,you could put a set of 305 HO heads on for a slight low end performance gain this will raise compression into 9.5 to 10.to 1 area but the smaller valve may cause higher rpm loss

It's a carb motor, and I don't have to pass any emissions where I live and doubt I ever will unless they do some state wide emission crap.

Just a quick update, I pulled the heads last night and #5 cylinder intake push rod was snapped in half and the exhaust was warped pretty bad. All the rest appear fine.

Attachments

• 2015032195000959.jpg
    2015032195000959.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 2015032195001521.jpg
    2015032195001521.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom