• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

38 vs. 38+P Case Strength

spamcastle

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
339   0
Reaction score
As I sorted brass the other day I got to wondering if it was safe to load regular 38 special brass to the +P spec in cases not stamped with the +P? I wasn't sure if there was a difference in case wall or any other factor that would effect safety. Figured I would ask before I wasted an hour resorting or potentially ruined a fine firearm.

As long as you're not trying to reach .357 mag velocities, you should be good with both. It is more an indicator for factory ammo so that if you were to have loose rounds, you could ID the +P rounds. Same goes for 9mm, .45, etc.

I regularly load .38's at +P pressures regardless of headstamp with no ill effects. I will occasionally get a split case but that is from repeated reloads. The gun should be rated for +P before running those loads.

There is load data available for. 38 Hi Velocity loads but, those should only be run through the larger frame .357 guns or a .38/44 S&W.

Beware the military cases much more than anything else. They are thicker and can cause greater pressures. I load all commercial cases the same. I pay no attention to the +P stamp. I try to shy away from nickeled cases too. They're harder, and don't survive repeated sizings, crimpings, and shootings near as well as most standard commercial brass cases. Watch for splits.

I segregate the milspec cases and load them at different specs, when I do load them. I usually just set them aside till I get enough to make a full run worth it.

Beware the military cases much more than anything else. They are thicker and can cause greater pressures. I load all commercial cases the same. I pay no attention to the +P stamp. I try to shy away from nickeled cases too. They're harder, and don't survive repeated sizings, crimpings, and shootings near as well as most standard commercial brass cases. Watch for splits.

I segregate the milspec cases and load them at different specs, when I do load them. I usually just set them aside till I get enough to make a full run worth it.

Good advice. I save the nickel cases for lost brass matches.

There's too many variables for me to give you any real numbers. I've had some split on the second loading. The nickel simply isn't as malleable as brass. I use it for show brass in my single action rig, but just like some folks, it bears watchin!

Back
Top Bottom