• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

38 special blanks

DrewR700

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
220   0
Reaction score
Anybody know where to find some 38 special blanks? I have a good buddy who coaches track and needs some for his starter pistol. He can’t find any or the prices are pretty crazy with shipping and all when he can. Didn’t know if our community would be able to help out any!!!

Been a long time since I've heard of these. You could try SASS or western re enactors. Not much call for the latter anymore I don't think. Maybe out west, that's where most were anyway

$30 bucks for 50 is about the going price for 38 spec.
only other option would be to just put a primer in a 38 casing. Then somehow crimp it to be safe. The crimping of the casing will be the trick.

Anybody know where to find some 38 special blanks? I have a good buddy who coaches track and needs some for his starter pistol. He can’t find any or the prices are pretty crazy with shipping and all when he can. Didn’t know if our community would be able to help out any!!!
Coached track a lot. Ended up getting starter pistols in .22 and .32 because blanks available. (.32 way better because more sound when fired of course, .22 for practice days). Been a while so I don't know what is out there now

I have half a dozen loose Winchester .38 spl. blank rounds left.
My dad bought a box of them new back in the 1970's.
Though I'm not sure why-- maybe just for signaling, like if he were out in the woods and his buddy was supposed to pick him up at a certain time and place, but my dad had trouble finding the meeting spot, he could shoot a few blanks at the right time to let his buddy know he's some distance away?

The blanks I have feature a paper/ cardboard WAD over the powder charge.
They're not crimped.
And they're smokeless powder, of course.

$30 bucks for 50 is about the going price for 38 spec.
only other option would be to just put a primer in a 38 casing. Then somehow crimp it to be safe. The crimping of the casing will be the trick.
A primer alone is nowhere near the noise of a proper factory-made blank cartridge.
A primer would be like using a cap pistol you could buy at a toy store for $9 with caps costing less than a penny apiece. Real blank cartridges sound almost as loud as a live round w/projectile.

A primer alone is nowhere near the noise of a proper factory-made blank cartridge.
A primer would be like using a cap pistol you could buy at a toy store for $9 with caps costing less than a penny apiece. Real blank cartridges sound almost as loud as a live round w/projectile.

I will admit I know nothing about the makup of a blank/starter pistol. For the more noise I guess you will need some kind of bigger explosion!

Back
Top Bottom