• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

.40 S&W Load

Chuckdog

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
11   0
Reaction score
I haven't been shooting and loading for the .40 S&W for very long.

It's just one of those calibers that never interested me?

I've been loading using mostly Accurate #7 and Universal. I was looking
through my powder, and came across a pound of Longshot that I think was
bought when I was loading for the .450 Bushmaster?

For those not familiar with Longshot, it's a shimmery flake powder that I would
not expect to meter very well, but it does surprisingly well through my pistol measure?

My Pro Auto Disk literature doesn't list Longshot, so I did a little experimenting
and found cavity #66 delivers 8 grs very reliably. With a 180 gr HP it may be somewhat
compressed, which means a double charge will be more than obvious.

Anyway, cutting to the chase, it seems to be a very nice combination through my
M&P. Accuracy is excellent. It shoots to point of aim at 10 steps. The weather
wasn't cooperative, so I didn't stay but a minute, and no chronograph data,
but I can say it's moving right along! The book estimates 1159 fps from a 4" tube.
Judging from the recoil, I'd say it's making close to that if not more from mine?

I only loaded and shot 50 rounds. The brass looks fine, the primers are nice and round,
just looks really promising?

I thought I would post my limited experience up, maybe see if anyone else has used
Longshot with the .40?

As always, never take my word on data! Verify any info from me!

Thanks' for takin' the time to peruse, CD

I haven't been shooting and loading for the .40 S&W for very long.

It's just one of those calibers that never interested me?

I've been loading using mostly Accurate #7 and Universal. I was looking
through my powder, and came across a pound of Longshot that I think was
bought when I was loading for the .450 Bushmaster?

For those not familiar with Longshot, it's a shimmery flake powder that I would
not expect to meter very well, but it does surprisingly well through my pistol measure?

My Pro Auto Disk literature doesn't list Longshot, so I did a little experimenting
and found cavity #66 delivers 8 grs very reliably. With a 180 gr HP it may be somewhat
compressed, which means a double charge will be more than obvious.

Anyway, cutting to the chase, it seems to be a very nice combination through my
M&P. Accuracy is excellent. It shoots to point of aim at 10 steps. The weather
wasn't cooperative, so I didn't stay but a minute, and no chronograph data,
but I can say it's moving right along! The book estimates 1159 fps from a 4" tube.
Judging from the recoil, I'd say it's making close to that if not more from mine?

I only loaded and shot 50 rounds. The brass looks fine, the primers are nice and round,
just looks really promising?

I thought I would post my limited experience up, maybe see if anyone else has used
Longshot with the .40?

As always, never take my word on data! Verify any info from me!

Thanks' for takin' the time to peruse, CD

LONGSHOT® This spherical powder is the most versatile shotshell heavy field propellant Hodgdon has ever produced. Great loads in 10 ga., 12 ga., 16 ga., 20 ga., and 28 ga. are shown in Hodgdon’s Reloading Data Center. This propellant provides true magnum velocities with superb patterns. In addition, LONGSHOT is the best choice for those competitors shooting games such as "Buddy", "Annie Oakleys" and more. LONGSHOT is the high velocity pistol choice in 38 Super, 40 S&W, and 357 SIG at lower than usual operating pressures. Available in 1 lb., 4 lb. & 8 lb. containers.
Try this link.

Also, most every Major Powder supplier will provide loading info for Their brands of powder.

Hope this is a help for you.

http://www.hodgdon.com/shotpist.html

http://www.hodgdon.com/shotpist.html

Last edited:
Hodgdon powders have been around for a while.

See link http://www.hodgdon.com/shotpist.html

Hodgdon Shotgun & Pistol Powders
Hodgdon Shotgun & Pistol Powders give shooters uncompromising quality, consistent velocities and clean-burning performance. From 22s to 44 Magnums, 410 to 10 gauge, there's a powder to meet any need.

lol.. no clue what he was saying besides look up the data...

personally I usually use Titegroup and AA #5 for most of my 40 loads. Seems that TG is my go-to powder for most non magnums these days. maybe time to step up and get a bigger canister of it? :)

Yea, I was just posting the fact that I had stumbled across a what appears
to be a very good use for the Longshot that was bought specifially for the .450 BM.
I believe it's gonna better Universal in the .40, but once it's gone, I'll be back with the it.

I like Universal Clays for most of my non magnum loads now. Universal is pretty much
a clean burning, better metering Hodgdon version of Unique. I buy it in 8lb lots now.

????
Huh???

Kind person, Chuckdog,

I meant nor intended any offense. I thought you were asking for information about a specific powder.

Perhaps, I misunderstood your request. If so, I apologize.

I have never used that powder, and I suspect, after your response, that you wanted personal experience responses.

I am sorry if I offended you, as you are one of the posters, whose comments I always read.

~~~

You asked about a specific Powder. I found a web-site that mentioned that powder, with a source to the Manufacturer. This is the only source I will trust, for ANY powder.

I suspect you are a few years younger than me, but you always seem to have a good grasp of the basics.

Please let me know how I offended, and I will try to reform.

Thanks', I have load data, I'm not one to just throw a load together.

I appreciate the assistance, but I was really just posting what seemed like
a little good luck with finding a good use for some powder that I bought expressly for
loading another caliber, that I no longer have.

Thanks', I have load data, I'm not one to just throw a load together.

I appreciate the assistance, but I was really just posting what seemed like
a little good luck with finding a good use for some powder that I bought expressly for
loading another caliber, that I no longer have.

Again,I did not intend to offend.

I have been reloading since the middle 1960s, and i have often had questions I could not immediately answer.

I always relied upon Reloading Manuals, and always tried to verify the loadinds in two or more manuals.
Yes, The manuals could have typos.

I never found any, but was always cautious.

Again, I always read your comments, where I find them. you are an interesting reloader.

Kimchee

Back
Top Bottom