• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

400 Corbon. It has less load data than a politician has common sense.

CryHavoc

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
7   0
Reaction score
So, I decided to start reloading 400 Corbon using some existing components I use for .40 S&W. This, I have discovered, has become quite a problem. The load data for this particular cartridge is scarce and what is available doesn't cover anything that could be described as comprehensive.

I'm currently stocked with some N320 powder and more than a couple 180gr projectiles (and yes, I have read the warnings about using 180gr. and while it is said to load with caution, it is still a capable loading).

From what research I've done on a wide range of cartridge loadings comparing N320 with other powders that use either close to the same or the same amount, I have found the N320 loads close to Bullseye, AA#2, Universal, and Red Dot (in that order from closets to least close).

With what I've found the loading for a 180gr should be 5gr of N320. With 400 Corbon being a high performance round and with the 180gr being the extreme end of the performance envelope, "should be" doesn't really cut the mustard.

So my question is does anyone have any tried and true reloading data on this mix or at least some data that would support what my research has provided. Also, any other compiled data with any other gr/powder mix would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help.

experience tells me a fast burning powder may not be the best choice for a .45 ACP necked down to .40 caliber. Yes you can use it but don't push the envelope. The pressure spike is rapid and higher in the faster powders. The faster powders use less powder so are more economical.

I expect 10mm powders to work well in this case, considering capacity, projectile and velocity. So consider it.

400 Corbon mimics 10mm but has a necked case to deal with and this was the reason I ignored it. Use a chronograph and similar slower powders for 10mm and I think you will be safer. AA#2 is a really fast powder I would not consider for this cartridge.

AA#5 is the fastest recommended AA powder for 10mm. http://www.lasc.us/BurnRatePrint.htm

Last edited:
Well I went and reloaded 3 rounds with a 180gr projectile on top of 6gr of N320. With 1 round in the chamber and an empty magazine the weapon fired and locked the slide back. With 1 round in chamber and 1 in the magazine the weapon fully cycled the next round in, fired the next round, then locked the slide to the rear. Now I just need to reload a few more then get my hands on a chronograph and check velocity.

*Note - All firing was done remotely via stand and remote trigger activation device (aka, a string) due to previous (and wise) advice from RamRoddoc.

Last edited:
Heh, heh, I wish you had a picture or video of you activating the "firing device". :becky:

400 Corbon ballistics fall somewhere between the .40 S&W and the 10 mm Auto. The 10 mm operates at a SAAMI maximum of 259 MPa (37,500 psi), the .400 Corbon operates at 200 MPa (29,000 psi) so I would not recommend attempting to achieve 10mm performance out of 400 Corbon.

I'd avoid bullet weights >180 grains as well and I don't think it's recommended. The fastest powder appears to be Unique.

http://www.handloads.org/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=400%20Corbon&Weight=All&type=Handgun&Order=Powder&Source=

This guy recommends nothing >165 grains. The fastest powder recommended is V340, that's two steps down the burn rate from where your at now. It appears to be original Corbon data: http://www.reloadammo.com/400corbn.htm

The powder you're using is fast and in AA#2 burn range. These guys saved the burn rate chart from Hodgdon: http://www.lasc.us/BurnRatePrint.htm

Using a real fast powder and heavy bullets is to be avoided.

Reconsider using a lighter bullet and a couple of steps (minimum) slower burn rated powder.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited:
Last edited:
I don't plan to push the envelope with this loadout. I just so happen to have the powder and projectiles on hand from previous loading and was wanting to make some plinking rounds with what i already have. The reason for the chronograph isn't to work the load up, but to insure I am well withing the 1250 fps limit given by the projectile manufacturer. I will look into getting those JHPs though. Thanks. I'll try to get a video when I go to chronograph the next loads.

Back
Top Bottom