.44 Mag Brass life

samgreeniam

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
42   0
Reaction score
Anyone have a rule of thumb for number of times you can load .44 mag brass? Most of my brass is Starline. I'm loading a lot of cast bullet plinking loads- (240 grain SWC over 6.0 grains of Titegroup, 800 fps mv) and the brass seems in very good condition even after 3 or 4 loads. I think I'll limit my higher power hunting loads (2400 powder at 1100-1200 mv) to 3 or 4 loads, but the plinking round cases look like they can go much longer.
Thoughts anyone?

we have gotten 6-10 times without problems hot rounds can be less just check the brass for neck splits...

good shooting and enjoy your results.

Yep, the weak spot will be at the case mouth with the belling then crimping that goes on during loading. I load mine until I see some start to split and then the bunch goes into the recycle bin.

I have gotten upwards of 20 loads on a set of WW brass, but I don't bell my case mouth that much during loading.

If you limit flaring/belling and crimp lightly on your light lead target loads, the brass will last a LONG time... I agree with steelringer that 20+ loads should be expected.

the more you bell and crimp it the harder the brass becomes(work hardened). annealing even a straight wall cartridge like the 44 will help quite a bit...

Thanks for the replies! I'm used to rifle brass that can get suspect after 6 - 7 loadings, and am amazed how good the 44 looks after firing. I have been doing the minimum flaring required, so that should help.

The thing about 44mag brass is that once the case mouth starts to split you can trim them to 44spl length and get a few more loads out of them. You just have to remember to reduce the loads to the 44spl specs. I have done this on occasion with out any problems.

My moderately loaded (23gr of H110 with 240 gr Hornady) brass starts to split at around 13 reloads, I have one box on it's 15'th. Mostly fire in a Redhawk, though put them through a Desert Eagle on occasion which doesn't seem to abuse them too badly.

P.S. I have had bad brass I loaded that split in the box without ever being fired.

Back
Top Bottom