• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need advice on value of some once fired brass

timbo40

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
29   0
Reaction score
Good evening everyone.
Let me preface this by saying I'm not a reloader, I usually just hang out in the Classifieds section. I know absolutely nothing about reloading, so be gentle on me :D
However, I have had the following items for quite some time because at some point a buddy was gonna teach me how to reload, but that never happened.
I am thinking of selling this at the ODT swap meet next month. I have a table there (table #10), and need to know what would be a fair valuation of this.
So I have the following:
1. 975 casings of de-primed and I think only once fired 9mm cases. Various headstamps
2. 950 casings of Speer 9mm. looks to have been tumbled.
3. 1000 casings, approximately, of Lake City 7.62x51, was told once fired. Mostly mixed headstamps of 1980's manufacture.
4. 213 projectiles of 7.62x51 of what I was told is tracer. Has remnants of orange paint.
Any help on determining value or interest in these would be great.
I have had this for going on 20 years, stored in a plastic bucket in the garage/basement.
Thank you,
Timbo40

Someone will correct me if i"m way off, but here's my take on brass prices:

9mm is the cheapest of all of the brass on the market these days. some people just recycle it as brass but I would guess the going rate is around $25-30/1k for brass 9mm.

7.62x51 LC brass is good, and if 80+ manufacture I would guess around $200 for 1k if it's in good condition but not processed.

the orange tip is tracer bullets usually. I found some on gun broker for $150/500 pieces. Most reloaders won't use it as most ranges won't let you shoot tracer ammo becuase of potential fires. Too bad it's not black tip. :)

Generally it seems like brass prices have gone down for the "standard" calibers (9mm, 45, 223, 308) because the price of components has gone up quite a bit so people are reloading more of their non standard stuff where the price difference between the store bought and reloaded is bigger (i.e. it's hard to reload 9mm 124gr rounds for less than what you pay retail for 1k rounds).

That is a lot of help Mr. SeedyR.
Thank you so much. I might just make a few pesos on it after all.
If you are going to the swap meet, come see me to say hello. Table 10 against the left wall, second row
Cheers, Tim

I am hoping to get over there and peruse the tables for some deals. If I didn't have a bunch of 308 already I'd make you an offer but will stop by and say hello.

Someone will correct me if i"m way off, but here's my take on brass prices:

9mm is the cheapest of all of the brass on the market these days. some people just recycle it as brass but I would guess the going rate is around $25-30/1k for brass 9mm.

7.62x51 LC brass is good, and if 80+ manufacture I would guess around $200 for 1k if it's in good condition but not processed.

the orange tip is tracer bullets usually. I found some on gun broker for $150/500 pieces. Most relaters won't use it as most ranges won't let you shoot tracer ammo becuase of potential fires. Too bad it's not black tip. :)

Generally it seems like brass prices have gone down for the "standard" calibers (9mm, 45, 223, 308) because the price of components has gone up quite a bit so people are reloading more of their non standard stuff where the price difference between the store bought and reloaded is bigger (i.e. it's hard to reload 9mm 124gr rounds for less than what you pay retail for 1k rounds).
^^^^^^^ THIS ALL DAY ^^^^^^

Back
Top Bottom