• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

44 mag rifle loads

williamcurl

Default rank <15 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you loaded 44 mag for rifle. what results you had out of what loads?
I can't seem to find factory ammo that shoots accurate in my old marlin. Maybe I'm expecting to much out of this old rifle .

I reload for my marlin. Have used 2400 and 296 a lot

Nothing but 240 gr hornadys which are great deer rounds

If I get 1.5" groups at 50 yards I'm tickled. Most of the times you'll be happy with 2.5" or more.

The old micro groove barrels were pretty darn good. Minute of deer is good

I was wondering if any of you loaded 44 mag for rifle. what results you had out of what loads?
I can't seem to find factory ammo that shoots accurate in my old marlin. Maybe I'm expecting to much out of this old rifle .

Jeez bud maybe you have the same problem I have with my Browning.
The better the ammo the worse it shoots, makes no sense to me at all.
I gave up loading for it and shoot the cheap Federal and it'll hold an MOA at 100.
Try some cheap ammo, not the good stuff. I know it makes little sense, but it's worth a try....

What are you expecting? You should be able to hold a 9" paper plate with open sights at 100 .......
Are you expecting much more than that? Open sights or scoped?

I've shot many-a-deer with my Dad's old Marlin 44 mag lever gun out to 125' plus. I don't know what kind of grouping I get and I don't care; for two reasons: 1. I only shoot once, and 2. With the brown body of the deer laying on the ground, it tell tells me the accuracy is good enough.

22.2 grains of 2400 topped with either a 240gr hornady or 240gr speer, I can get 1.25'' groups from my marlin or ruger carbin with this load at 100 yards.

Back
Top Bottom