5x5 sorta

CAMSDADDY

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
109   0
Reaction score
Well today I got to the range for the first time in over a month. I have however spent time dry firing and practicing my draw from concealment. Today I decided to take a handful of handguns to the range to give the 5x5 drill a run. The drill is outlined here https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/ccm-departments/drill-of-the-month/5-5/ and was referenced earlier by our own Headhunter.
I was initially disappointed in my results to a point but once I got home I reread the drill and should have been shooting from low ready instead of concealment. From concealment to me isnt from a speed scabbard or from a tactical vest. I go to the range dressed as I do every day carry as I do daily. Todays attire shorts, polo style shirt and flip flops and a cap. I rotated holsters for each gun but each remained AIWB as this is my normal day to day. The guns I used were Glock 26, S&W 60, 2" 64, 3"65 and a 3913. I actually ran this two different ways. I began shooting at paper plates that I had painted a cd on which leaves a circle in the center and an outline. Phase two I shot a tree with 6 4 1/2" steel plates vertically. I was suprised that I shot the plates better. I think it kept me from looking at my previous shots and simply a moving plate was a hit. I think trying to make the time limit forced me to rush which did cause a flier or two. I was using the surefire timer on my Iphone which I find tricky to hit start with it on the table and hear it with muffs on. I found that the faster I got the more I missed. I also know that I could shoot the 65 faster because when I was shooting the paper plates my shots werent in 5" they were closer into 2".

Results

Paper plate

gun/first shot/total/miss

60/n/a/7.29/0
60/n/a/5.65/0

26/2.63/7.98/0
26/2.7/5.43/0

64/2.88/6.05/0
64/2.65/5.65/0

65/2.88/6.79/0
65/3.05/6.08/0

3913/3.06/6.8/0
3913/3.26/6.76/0

steel plate

60/2.67/5.38/2
60/3.35/5.86/0

26/2.39/4.79/1
26/2.46/4.75/0

64/2.67/5.47/2
64/2.3/5.57/2

65/2.72/5.28/0
65/2.63/5.07/0

3913/2.81/5.57/1
3913/2.55/5.88/0

side note I put the Hogue Bantam from the 65 on the 64 and noticed my hits increased and time decreased. I believe looking at the numbers I should carry the 65 or the 26. I am now curious what I could have done with my Glock 19. Will be a little while before I get another chance to shoot so I will be dry firing and practicing and will run again from the low ready. I am going for 0 misses across the board and all times sub 5 second.

Thank you I look forward to shaving time over all and to first shot as well as eliminating misses through dry fire until I have another chance for live fire

Just as an example of compressing your draw time, here I am drawing from a Level III security holster in under two seconds, while moving. Notice that my hits are within two inches of the spot so would still make the five inch requirement. The initial range is seven yards.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ran this drill again. This time I only had the 60,26&19. All from aiwb white undershirt and cotton button up. First shots averaged
60-2.06
26-1.72
19-1.74
I ran 10 string of 3 round cycles. I found myself focused too much on speed. With the 26 and 60 50% of the strings had a miss with the 19 it was only 30% of them. I was not happy knowing that 30-50% of the time I was shooting an innocent bystander. Of course my target may be a little larger than a 4 1/2" steel plate.
I found my draw times with my 60 slow but was pleased with the bobbed hammer I just did as it did not catch my shirt on the draw. I debate larger grips but that would sacrifice pocket carry. I was really happy that I could take my time and hit those plates out to 25 yards quite regularly.
I really wish I had taken my 17 just for reference. Of all of the guns I have I shoot my 4" 13 (my 3" 65 is close) and my 17 the best. The weight of the 65 & the 13 hurt my back. I can carry a fully loaded 17 for less weight and almost 3 times the ammo to miss with. Accuracy wise slow fire I shoot the 26 and the 19 about the same. I shoot my 60 as probably better than my 2" 64. I figure I'm gonna eliminate it. I have intentions of whittling down my choices. I would like to to get down to one or two and really focus on those as edc. I realize the perfect edc doesn't exist. I just have to commit and focus and rather than just blasting rounds I want to really work on dry fire and running the gun I choose.

PT1
I am currently going through this as well. I would feel comfortable with any of the three sizes. Yesterday I ran the 26 vs the 19 and found the 19 a little better at speed. I found I shoot them both about the same at distance on slow aimed fire. I plan to take my 17 next trip and run the 17 vs the 19. I also plan to put the 3 dot Trijicons from my 26 on the 19 so that I will be running the same sight picture. I will then put the Warren Tactical tritium front/black rear on the 26 and then compare the three times. Of course the 17/19 chop is so tempting I cant even go into that right now.
PT2 of another thread here.
I find I shoot the 17 a little better. I am curious if its the sight radius or extended grip or the sights. Thats why I plan to change my sights around to eliminate that factor. Im trying real hard to resist buying a 17/19 listed here. I carry in a Smartcarry often and find the 19 grip being the threshold that I can tuck my shirt and it not print

Just as an example of compressing your draw time, here I am drawing from a Level III security holster in under two seconds, while moving. Notice that my hits are within two inches of the spot so would still make the five inch requirement. The initial range is seven yards.

Where are there ranges that have automated/moving targets?

Thanks

EDIT: Just realized this was an old post. It was linked from a newer thread so I didn't even look at the date.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where are there ranges that have automated/moving targets?

Thanks

EDIT: Just realized this was an old post. It was linked from a newer thread so I didn't even look at the date.

That would be Rogers Shooting School in Elijay, Ga.

Better than Disney World.
Several good vid's on youtube about it.

Back
Top Bottom