• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

6.5 Creedmoor powder and bullets?

SpeedyR

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
123   0
Reaction score
read thru some of the older threads (2016 and 2017) but I know there are newer bullets (ELD-X and ELD-M) as well as powders (RL16 and IMR4451 mostly) so figured I'd ask again and see what folks are currently using.

I'm getting ready to prep brass and gather components, but probably won't have the rifle for another month or two (or three), so time to get stuff together.

What powder and bullets are most having luck with? The rifle will have a 26" 1:8 twist barrel (rock creek if it matters). I have been assuming I'd stick with Hornady ELD-M (and maybe develop a load with ELD-X so I could take it hunting). 140gr seems to be what a lot of folks are shooting from Hornady factory ammo but they make 100/120/123/130/140/147 ELD-M. I’ve shot SMK’s in the past but the ELD seems to be the current favorite for many.

Powder- seems the go to is H4350 or RL16. I have IMR 4064, Varget, and others but assume I’ll get some H4350 soon. Worth trying RL16 or just keep it in mind if my rifle doesn't like H4350? Availability doesn't seem to be an issue these days as it was when people started developing rounds for the rifle. Even 4451 seems to be good for some folks.

My goal is to use this rifle to learn to shoot longer ranges. I've only had hunting rifles in the past (35, 308 and 280 mostly in pumps (141 and 7600) and single shots (#1)) and want to work on my skills and try my hand at some longer ranges (600+). Possibly shoot a PRS match or two if I can get in some practice and feel confident with my abilities.

I have had very good success with H4350 and 140 ELDs Shoot at Blakely out to 1400 yards and at times you can hit the 1650 yard but it is subsonic by then

heck you can even hit the 2000 meter plate if you don't mind throwing hand grande trajectory bullets and you got a 40 MOA rail on your gun like a friend of mine

Consider the RL line from Alliant is made by Bofors in Sweden while the Hodgdon extreme line is by Thales in Austrailia. When panic set in both lines were near impossible to find. Lengthy stays in customs doesn't help the supply chain. The Aliant Power Pro line and most of the other Hodgdon rifle powders like blc2 and cfe are made by St. Mark's in Florida while IMR powders are made in Canada. Both are usually more accessible during droughts.

That said I use 4451 with 140gr match burners. The whole IMR enduron line was developed to mimic the extreme line but be easier to import. 4166 is varget clone, 4451 is 4350 clone etc etc. Rl16 and h4350 are the other options for consistant loads in wide temp ranges with 130/140 gr bullets. Varget can work but it's a bit too fast. The velocity might be lacking.

Thanks for the replies and updates. I'll probably start with the 140 ELD-M and 143 ELD-X and 4350 and develop something there, but when I have some extra time I'll check out 4451 and RL16 as backups in case I have a hard time. i tend to stock up when I find a deal on items (I probably have 20k primers of different varieties) so that should help some.

I have not shot my TC Compass 6.5 very long range, but it shoots well (sub-moa) with IMR4451 and Speer 140gr soft points. The Speer bullets are the least expensive 140 6.5's out there. Unless you are shooting super long range, they might just work well for you and save you a lot of $$.

Rosewood

Back
Top Bottom