$65 for a set of Lvl III Rifle plates

says...

H.P. White Laboratory, Inc. - Tested and Certified:

• This model complies with NIJ Standard-0101.06 for Ballistic Resistance of Body Armor.

• NIJ tested Level III Armor will defeat 6 rifle rounds up to 7.62x51/.308 @ 2780 ft/s @ 15 METERS

I ordered level III+ plates and a carrier package from them (AR-500) last year. Product is good, but you can pretty much take the lead time listed and double it for when you will actually receive your product. And if you attempt to contact them you will get the standard "higher than normal volume" excuse. They will change the status of your order on their website to "priority" which means absolutely nothing. Needless to say it's a bit frustrating and if you are in a hurry to get your product (like before election day...LOL), I'd consider ordering from somewhere else.

Google M193 ammo and steel armor.
Regular, non-armor piercing M193 ammo slices thru Level III steel plates like butter.
Yes if someone shoots you at close range, with a 20" barreled rifle, loaded with M193 going at 3200+ FPS it will probably penetrate. Obviously Level III+ or IV plates are better (but several times more expensive), but good Level III body armor is 1000% better than nothing and will stop almost anything that you will encounter (all pistol calibers, all shotgun loads, 95+% of AR's of any caliber, AKs regardless of caliber, 308/7.62x51, 7.62x39).

This deal is more targeted at the guy/gal who doesn't have any armor. Folks able/willing to spend $300+ on some ceramic/PE/hybrid/etc plates aren't looking for cost-effective steel armor.

I ordered level III+ plates and a carrier package from them (AR-500) last year. Product is good, but you can pretty much take the lead time listed and double it for when you will actually receive your product. And if you attempt to contact them you will get the standard "higher than normal volume" excuse. They will change the status of your order on their website to "priority" which means absolutely nothing. Needless to say it's a bit frustrating and if you are in a hurry to get your product (like before election day...LOL), I'd consider ordering from somewhere else.
Good, cheap, and fast. Pick two lol. They are good folks and I've gotten my stuff from them on time in the past. If you can quality armor cheaper and ready to ship elsewhere please inform. Otherwise IMO it's like a tax stamp, order it knowing that you want it/need it, forget about for a while (set a reminder for 8 weeks or whatever on your phone) and just be pleasantly surprised when it arrives.

says...

H.P. White Laboratory, Inc. - Tested and Certified:

• This model complies with NIJ Standard-0101.06 for Ballistic Resistance of Body Armor.

• NIJ tested Level III Armor will defeat 6 rifle rounds up to 7.62x51/.308 @ 2780 ft/s @ 15 METERS
Missed that top part, I just saw the "complies with" which lots of companies use to say it's not tested/certified. Cool man, if it's worth double the money to get it somewhere else quicker, go for it.

Good, cheap, and fast. Pick two lol. They are good folks and I've gotten my stuff from them on time in the past. If you can quality armor cheaper and ready to ship elsewhere please inform. Otherwise IMO it's like a tax stamp, order it knowing that you want it/need it, forget about for a while (set a reminder for 8 weeks or whatever on your phone) and just be pleasantly surprised when it arrives.
Good Point...Agreed!

Yes if someone shoots you at close range, with a 20" barreled rifle, loaded with M193 going at 3200+ FPS it will probably penetrate. Obviously Level III+ or IV plates are better (but several times more expensive), but good Level III body armor is 1000% better than nothing and will stop almost anything that you will encounter (all pistol calibers, all shotgun loads, 95+% of AR's of any caliber, AKs regardless of caliber, 308/7.62x51, 7.62x39).

This deal is more targeted at the guy/gal who doesn't have any armor. Folks able/willing to spend $300+ on some ceramic/PE/hybrid/etc plates aren't looking for cost-effective steel armor.
In the tests I have seen, penetration occured at 2800 fps.
I agree, some armor is better than nothing. But those tests, weight, and spalling, were what steered me to ceramics.
If you get the steel armor, do not skip on spall coating. Sharpnel to the neck will kill and shrapnel to your arms could incapacitate you.

HP white always provides a copy of the test results , maybe you can ask them for a copy of the test cert. Depending on the test requested from HP white, spall results are also covered in the results.

Back
Top Bottom