• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

9/10 Hunt

Monster fawn with spots. Lol

Attachments

• IMG_1433.jpeg
    IMG_1433.jpeg
    217.9 KB · Views: 26
What an amazing hunt this afternoon! This is my first year really hunting with a bow. I watched two squirrels chasing barking and having a hoot. I thought I heard something in their direction earlier in the afternoon that I was pretty sure wasn't them. Around 7 the squirrels moved trees and sure enough I was right here comes 5 does. 2 huge bodies nannies and three yearlings walked 70 yards in front of me but too far. I sat for a bit and watched them walk over the hill. Finally, about 7:54 which was sunset I thought well I am gonna get down I reached behind me pulled my quiver from my pack, secured it back to my bow, and put my arrow back in it. Soon as I was fixing to pull the rope up to let my bow down I heard foot steps in front of me and at 20 yards 5 does! I slowly and quietly knocked the arrow and hoped for an opportunity to stand and pull back. Two of the does were very mature and although they never completely busted me the knew something wasn't right. They came in to 16.5 yards and I couldn't do anything but watch them. Boy what an amazing hunt this evening! I'm gonna give that stand a little breathing room after tonight to let em get use to seeing my stand.

I set up at my Sisters place on my favorite ladder tucked into some pines overlooking a major deer intersection.
I just happened to hear the squirrels go silent to my left so I turned my gaze slowly
And saw antlers coming up one of the feeder paths and one passed my left shooting lane then another …I was watching them and shifting my eyes to see if more were in tow.
Was just two twin spikes…..actually the smaller one is a six with a small basket and the taller one is a 2x2.
They’ve been thick as thieves for the past two seasons when I first saw them running together when they lost their spots.
Almost every time I hunt that 30 acres no matter where I am those two will cross my path.
I’m hoping they last a couple more seasons in there.
They lingered around a bit and were even rubbing the same sapling with their antlers and scraping the ground together….never seen that before.
Wish I got video of that but didn’t want to get busted.
Thank you nose jammer spray.
I hit one blast of the spray as high as I could hold the can on three trees 20 yards apart in a triangular pattern around my ladder to give me some cover scent.
Worked great….those bucks had no idea I was there and I was sweating like my sister in law in church.
I kept on high alert once they made their way out of sight…..hoping a big buck would be standing back in the shadows til the coast was clear……you guys that have been at this for a while know what I’m talking about.

Back
Top Bottom