9/16/16-9/18/16 deer hunt.

Not seem like an utter rookie, but does that really work? One of my stands is is in so deep that I have zero chance of getting in quietly, should I just jog/walk quickly?

I can't claim to be an expert on deer behavior but I can count many times where I have had deer follow me into the woods on pre dawn mornings and broad daylight after simply hearing my footsteps.
Last year on my way to my stand I did a little jog in the leaves then squatted and waited.
Immediately a group of does from an adjacent ridge came running up on me to see if I wanted to play...lol.
I used a doe bleat and trotted around at the base of a knoll to attract a buck....he came up and grunted but never showed himself like a ninja....I think he was weirded out because he did not see a deer....he ran off and I tried it again and he came back but hid in a thicket.

I've got plenty of stories to share like this.
Now if they see or smell you then you're toast but they are super curious at times especially during the rut.
I like to experiment with all kinds of things and pay attention to frogs, crickets, squirrels, birds to see what kind of noises they make when deer come up to the area.
I've read a lot on Native American hunters and it's amazing the cool interaction even crickets have when animals pass through.
I'm sure y'all have heard squirrels barking and squeeling at deer.
I've had deer start to move when the crickets go from a crisp, loud noise to a low, comforting hum.
I make notes and mental notes of a lot of these little circumstances in nature and try to listen for patterns next time out.

I can't claim to be an expert on deer behavior but I can count many times where I have had deer follow me into the woods on pre dawn mornings and broad daylight after simply hearing my footsteps.
Last year on my way to my stand I did a little jog in the leaves then squatted and waited.
Immediately a group of does from an adjacent ridge came running up on me to see if I wanted to play...lol.
I used a doe bleat and trotted around at the base of a knoll to attract a buck....he came up and grunted but never showed himself like a ninja....I think he was weirded out because he did not see a deer....he ran off and I tried it again and he came back but hid in a thicket.

I've got plenty of stories to share like this.
Now if they see or smell you then you're toast but they are super curious at times especially during the rut.
I like to experiment with all kinds of things and pay attention to frogs, crickets, squirrels, birds to see what kind of noises they make when deer come up to the area.
I've read a lot on Native American hunters and it's amazing the cool interaction even crickets have when animals pass through.
I'm sure y'all have heard squirrels barking and squeeling at deer.
I've had deer start to move when the crickets go from a crisp, loud noise to a low, comforting hum.
I make notes and mental notes of a lot of these little circumstances in nature and try to listen for patterns next time out.
that's pretty interesting. I'm hoping to get my first buck during bow season. I just can't figure out the patterns of the bucks at the property I'm hunting at now. My wife's uncle and grandfather told me they usually don't come out until around the Rut usually. And if you do see them before they are in the thickets. The 6 pointer I saw we have been seeing on camera usually following behind the doe and fawn that I saw come out just before it but that's about the only pattern I've noticed with the bucks. We have plenty down there I just can't figure out how to get them to come out early in the season.

Pressure in the woods even by one person will cause the mature bucks to hunker down and the does to change patterns.
They are smart and watch you
Like a hawk and will flee if you
Come around.
Still Seeing batchelor groups wondering around and have noticed a lot of nocturnal buck activity.
If you can find a watering hole
For mid day drinking you
Might get Lucky.
Lots of the deer in my area will
Hit a watering hole and browse a little on their way to their favorite food plot......my neighbors apple trees.
I set Up between the two but use three different stands especially if I bust one and scatter a herd.
I like when the lone deer comes through that way their friends don't know what happened.
There's a nice six point with a big body I had my eye on but I'll have to let it pass if I see it now since I harvested a spike by mistake in low light.

Pressure in the woods even by one person will cause the mature bucks to hunker down and the does to change patterns.
They are smart and watch you
Like a hawk and will flee if you
Come around.
Still Seeing batchelor groups wondering around and have noticed a lot of nocturnal buck activity.
If you can find a watering hole
For mid day drinking you
Might get Lucky.
Lots of the deer in my area will
Hit a watering hole and browse a little on their way to their favorite food plot......my neighbors apple trees.
I set Up between the two but use three different stands especially if I bust one and scatter a herd.
I like when the lone deer comes through that way their friends don't know what happened.
There's a nice six point with a big body I had my eye on but I'll have to let it pass if I see it now since I harvested a spike by mistake in low light.
We have 3 ponds on the property, only problem is 2 of them are dry completely. Most of the pictures of all the bucks we have are at night. Although I'm hoping the persimmons that are starting to drop will boost their activity.

They'll be around once rut starts at Least and they might be licking leaves and drinking from mid puddles if they're real skiddish.

I've got a couple decent ones back there that avoid any heavy doe trails And anywhere the faintest human scent is then all of the sudden they will emerge during rut, usually
Late season when it's cold.

wow they are reacting to the bleet call already, you will have a great rut season, the deer were super active this weekend I seen more deer at my stand than I have seen in a long time. will be back out tomorrow morning hoping for the same results and for that 10pt to come back.

Back
Top Bottom