A Beast is Born: AR308 project

Quiet Riot Firearms

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
Firearms/Accessories Dealer
91   0
Reaction score
Figured I would post this up now that I have almost all my parts in line. I've gotten to where I like to build all my own AR pattern rifles. Mainly because I'm very picky about exactly what I want and it ends up being cheaper than buying and changing things. I built my 11.5" SBR from the ground up, and decided some time ago I wanted to try building a 308 AR as well. I ordered my receivers from CAW the day after the election. Billet set, flat top, slick side. My goal was to have a gun I could hunt deer and hogs with, shoot drills with, and shoot out to my 850yd steel target, all in as small of a package as possible, and with a suppressor on there about 50% of the time. I started piecing together parts as I saw them available, luckily I had pretty much everything before Newtown. Here's what I have so far:

Sun Devil Billet 308 receivers, from James at CAW. Thanks again for ordering these for me James. Its nice having a local guys name on the side.
Rainier Arms Ultra Match 16" .308 barrel. Made from a Shilen Blank.
Seekins adjustable lo pro gas block. Picked this one because its light, and has a jam screw to lock in the adjustment.
JP Enterprises LMOS 308 BCG. Super light, also why I needed the gas block, won't need as much gas.
CMMG 308 LPK. Looking to get either a Timney or Geissele trigger in it as soon as I find one.
Carbine buffer tube, with 308 carbine buffer and spring.
Magpul ACS-L stock. Good cheek rest.
Magpul SR20 mags. REAL glad I stocked up on those when I did.
BFG padded Vickers Sling.
BFG UWL universal sling mount loops. Easy to put anywhere on the gun.
Nightforce 2.5-10x24 in a Larue SPR 30mm mount. I got so lucky and found this on ARFCOM for super cheap. Very lucky I saw it as he posted it. These things are borderline unicorn status these days. Super small and super light for a 10x optic of this quality.

Things still on order:
SF 762 SOCOM Suppressor. I am a suppressor dealer after all, so I went with the nicest can I could get. Plus its the smallest 308 can out there that will still handle my 300WM too.
SF 762SOCOM Muzzle Brake. To attach that ^^

Things I still need:
A rail. I had decided on a Troy TRX, but then the place that had an awesome price went out of stock. With SHOT happening, I thought maybe someone would have a cool one. Centurion Arms did, but said it could be 4 more months til it comes out. Same with KAC and an SR25 URX4 keymod. So I think I'm back to the TRX. I may order one tonight.
Also thinking about a LAW side folding adapter. IF you haven't seen those, google it. It would make this 16" 308 almost fit in a back pack.

I'm going to start putting it together tonight. I'll post pics as it comes together. Ask anything you like on why I picked certain things. Below are the bare receivers as I received them.

photo (36).jpg

My suggestion, lighten the weight of the buffer, and increase the strength of the spring.

Our at least that's what is needed when running a lightweight bolt set up in a 556 gun.

I'm running a wolf extra power spring with a rifle length buffer but the buffer itself has been lightened. I've got the JP gas block and have the gas cut back a lot.

Thanks for the first hand advice. I've heard the 308 LMOS's are actually easier to do than on 556. Once I get it together, I'm sure I'll have to mess with it some.

Back
Top Bottom