• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A Beginner's First Year Hunting Recap

Great post man, I prefer to still hunt myself but I'm extremely cautious and OVERKILL ORANGE if i'm on a lease or WMA. I've taken more deer sitting and creeping than in stands.

Find the water, food source, and some doo doo and your golden!

Update - I joined a new club in Dalton that is much smaller, fewer members, and I have gotten to know all the members. I've been doing my homework during the summer such as looking for deer tracks, have gotten to know the property and even put out corn and 2 trail cams. I feel like I am making progress and am doing all the right things to give myself a better chance of getting one this season.

I've learned in the last month to not dump all my corn into a bucket. Corn will sweat and it will also rot a little with the rain even though I cut small holes at the bottom for it to drain. I'll spread it out on the ground next time for a more natural feel. I will also throw out some salt blocks as well.

Check out some of the trail cam pics I've had so far.... The first two pics are from one area with a nice box stand in view. The bottom pic is another location where I have a ton of does visiting either at 8am or 8pm.

MFDC0637.jpg
MFDC1477.jpg

MFDC0326.jpg

Last year I had done zero homework, I didn't know the property, no trail cams, no scouting, no nothing. So far, I like to think the work I'm putting into the summer will pay off come Oct 17 2015. Wish me luck! Feel free to comment or give me any other advice before the season begins!

Good luck...welcome to the brotherhood. Just make sure the other members are ok with still hunting...some clubs don't like members walking around in woods when they are in stands. It can be dangerous too if other members are not experienced hunters.

I know I will get boos and hisses but here is how I kill deer on my club.
1. Drive truck faster than other members to spot.
2. Get in woods.
3. Dogs are turned loose.
4. Watch dogs on gps.
5. Shoot deer.
6. Catch dogs.
7. Repeat all day.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0.jpg
    imagejpeg_0.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 6
Back
Top Bottom