A charity question about prescription medications

jlcnuke

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
12   0
Reaction score
How can I legally donate unused insulin (levemir flexpens and possibly some novolog flexpens) in Georgia so that they go to people in need (i.e. not insured)? Each box of 5 pens costs me $30 and is auto-refilled so they tend to slowly accumulate, but I've seen the price before insurance and people without insurance probably have a hard time paying over $500 per box so I'd prefer that I knew it would be going to those in need of the help. Does anyone know how though? I saw that a law was passed to allow donating prescription meds less than 10 years ago but couldn't find anything about it's implementation.

I'd have a hard time believing that you can give the meds away. After all , they are a prescription item meaning there is some accountability and control. You can check with your local pharmacy though!

I don't know if you can,,I have tried in the past and talked to doctors and pharmacists and was told by all that once it has left the med facility's inventory it cannot be re issued or returned due to liability.

I don't know if you can,,I have tried in the past and talked to doctors and pharmacists and was told by all that once it has left the med facility's inventory it cannot be re issued or returned due to liability.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I can't legally just hand the medication to someone because it is a prescription but I've found a Georgia law about unused drugs being able to be reissued if they aren't expired and the original container is unopened (among other restrictions). I just can't find anything out about the operation of that program or how to donate the meds.

Check with Good Samaritan on Roberta drive in Marietta. They provide indigent health care.

Thanks, I'll check them out :)

Back
Top Bottom