A2 front sight question

BE46ST

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
48   1
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm very novice as this is my first rifle and I'm new to the game so don't flame me too hard for asking dumb questions.

I currently have a Bushmaster AR 15 (technical name is carbon 15) and it has a not so desirable to my liking front sight, I want the fixed A2 front sight. I've heard their a ***** and a half to put on becuase you have to mess with gas block and mine doesnt even look removeable. Any insight on this or how to do it. ANy help would be great.

I'm adding pics for reference.

This is what I have;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/az_gru/5466853522/

This is what I want;
http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/skus/p_100002413_1.jpg

It has a..... not so there front sight. It's not a big deal to change them out. You can even get a clamp on/set screw replacement for what you have. Just pop out the pins, remove and replace with the new one.

Head up to Bullseye Marksman and let the guys know what you want to do and they'll walk you through it or do it for you.

I have a DPMS 16" upper with the fixed sight like you're looking for. I'd trade you straight across upper for upper. I like the gas block style like yours, and these fixed sights are a pain to remove without damaging the barrel

It has a..... not so there front sight. It's not a big deal to change them out. You can even get a clamp on/set screw replacement for what you have. Just pop out the pins, remove and replace with the new one.

Head up to Bullseye Marksman and let the guys know what you want to do and they'll walk you through it or do it for you.

Thanks! Where is that if I may ask?

I have a DPMS 16" upper with the fixed sight like you're looking for. I'd trade you straight across upper for upper. I like the gas block style like yours, and these fixed sights are a pain to remove without damaging the barrel

Are all AR's not gas block? What is the difference with yours? I may take you up on that

Are all AR's not gas block? What is the difference with yours? I may take you up on that
Yes, all AR's like these have a gas block, but the difference is you can remove some easily with hex screws that secure the block to the barrel, and others like the A2 fixed sights are most often pinned and/or welded to the barrel. Let me know if you want I can send some pictures over to you.

Have you tried putting a front sight on there before determining you want a fixed A2 sight instead? You have a low profile gas block and you can slap any front sight you want on there, except for the fixed A2 post, of course. A lot of people do the reverse of what you're trying to do. With that scope, a front flip up sight might work better. I don't know the height of your scope, but an A2 sight post may or may not obscure your sight picture so a front fight that flips up/down may be more desirable. Same goes for the rear. I prefer the A2 post also, but if I had a low-pro gas block, I'd probably just work with it.

Back
Top Bottom