Abandoned vehicle?

T-Roy

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
167   0
Reaction score
Question for anyone with experience/knowledge about a situation I'm in.

Last year I gave an old vehicle to a coworker. Apparently he never retitled it and abandoned it. Today I get a certified letter from a tow yard saying that I owe towing and storage and that if I don't claim the vehicle they'll auction it and report any fees above the value to the state as income for me (like a credit write-off)

What will happen if I just tell them it isn't mine and ignore this? No I don't have a BOS

No, I don't want the vehicle.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

What kind of car is it? Does it run? If it's a decent car, you can. Give it to me and I'll pay the tow and storage...
Probably not worth it. It's a mid 90's S10 blazer 2wd. Ran fine, Dad got a new truck. Sat for a few years. Dad died. Got it running but rough, figured it needed fresh gas and a tune up. Ex had it towed to a dealership she used to work at to get gone over for our son. Ended up buying him a newer car and gave the keys, title, and location to a friend in need. I'd imagine it never left the dealership. Dad did put a new motor in it at one point, probably 5k on the motor @ most. Currently owe $200 and accruing @ $25 a day.

Question for anyone with experience/knowledge about a situation I'm in.

Last year I gave an old vehicle to a coworker. Apparently he never retitled it and abandoned it. Today I get a certified letter from a tow yard saying that I owe towing and storage and that if I don't claim the vehicle they'll auction it and report any fees above the value to the state as income for me (like a credit write-off)

What will happen if I just tell them it isn't mine and ignore this? No I don't have a BOS

No, I don't want the vehicle.

Had the same thing happen back in January for a motorcycle I sold in 2016. I called the number on the letter and told them I had sold it, didn't want it, and would not pay any fees pertaining to it. They filed it as abandoned/no ownership and the state auctioned it off.

Make sure you're clear that you have no claim so they can't come back and say you owe anything. They'll tack on a bunch of fees and, next thing you know, you have a lien against you.

Probably not worth it. It's a mid 90's S10 blazer 2wd. Ran fine, Dad got a new truck. Sat for a few years. Dad died. Got it running but rough, figured it needed fresh gas and a tune up. Ex had it towed to a dealership she used to work at to get gone over for our son. Ended up buying him a newer car and gave the keys, title, and location to a friend in need. I'd imagine it never left the dealership. Dad did put a new motor in it at one point, probably 5k on the motor @ most. Currently owe $200 and accruing @ $25 a day.

Where's it at? I might give you the amount plus a little for it?

Back
Top Bottom