• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Acceptable AK Mags- Mag ratings

mtnsmith

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
70   0
Reaction score
I don't see many ads for Tapco AK mags. Are they reliable magazines? The reviews I have read seem to indicate they are very reliable. Before crazy, they sold for less than $10 compared to all the others priced from 20 to 30 bucks.

Before Ruger offered 20 rd mags for their Mini 30, I purchases some made in CA from Cheaper than Dirt and they could not even be modified to fit. I had to send them all back. I talked to the manufacturer in CA and explained the problem to him and he acted like he couldn't care less.

Mtnsmith

I have used several Tapco mags in my AK rifles and never had a problem with them. However, there are videos and reviews available that demonstrate how they will fail if dropped. The locking lugs are plastic and can shear off. I personally have quit using Tapco and metal mags in favor of US Palm magazines. They have the benefit of being light weight, but have steel locking lugs. The best of both worlds, but they are expensive.

https://www.uspalm.com/component/magebridge/ak30-mag-30rd.html?Itemid=102

Thanks for all the response and comments on the Tapco mags.

I guess all you guys in Cobb county know that Tapco is located in Kennesaw and Harold's Pawn Shop is sort of a local outlet for them. I think Tapco is located out off Moon Station road. If you want anything Tapco, Harold's can get it for you and shouldn't be any shipping charges.

Back
Top Bottom