accurizing a rifle

Most tiggers and sears are surface hardened. If, after the trigger job, you hunt or shoot the rifle a few times a years, it will work. The stone will remove the hardened metal that will "wear" each time the hammer is dropped. The AR15 triggers are notorious. Every one should shy away from removing metal on an AR trigger group. Polishing everything uaually takes a great deal of trigger weight off.
When I work on triggers, I usually reharden the pieces. I heat the piece until it starts to lightly glow and dunk it into thick oil. IMO, water will make it too brittle.

I agree with the trigger. I like 3# with none or just a hint of creep. Pretravel doesn't bother me unless it is a firearm with which I compete.

'Course, he could have a great trigger as it is. 1" @100 with a heavy creepy trigger does'nt go together.

I agree that removing metal is a bad thing on a trigger. Maybe I should clarify what I meant. I use a fine white Arkansas stone to lightly polish the mating surfaces on my triggers. Usually that smooths them out, removes most of the creep and reduces trigger pull. Never would I recommend removing metal from the trigger, rather lightly polish it till the machining marks are gone being very careful not to change the angle of anything.

And you are right, the trigger could be fine just like it is. There is no way to know without having the rifle in my hands, but that is the first thing I fix on my rifles. 1" at 100 yards is more than acceptable out of a hunting rifle, you may just need some more trigger time at longer distances.

Sounds like more of an ammo problem than a gun problem. If it will shoot 3 soft points in an inch at 100, then the rifle is good to go. Free floating doesn't make all guns shoot better, in fact a full bedding job can work wonders on sporter weight barrels.

Go buy some Federal Gold Medal Match and shoot it. If you want to hunt with it, reload with Berger bullets.

Learn the skills first. Then work up a load for the rifle. You may find out that nothing else is needed. I have turned more off the shelf rifles than I can remember into half MOA shooters by doing nothing but finding the right load.

I too would try a different bullet that is more suited to the 200 yard range. If the gun shoots sub MOA at 100yards, it should maintain sub MOA out to 200. Of course sub MOA gets bigger the further out you go.

A hand loaded spicy hot 168 to 180 Grain Boat Tail, and a new scope to help you see it better. may be your ticket.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom