Advanced Camp, Joint Base Lewis McChord

I lived in Seattle for a while. It rains in western WA year around. In fall/winter, almost every other day. In the summer it is not bad.
It is on the windward side of the Rockies, so you will get more rain than Spokane, but tolerable.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/climate/yeardisp.php?wfo=sew&stn=KSEW&submit=Yearly+Charts

P.S. According to this, 2013 has been rainier than usual. If you have not already, you will appreciate Gore-Tex.
Great food. If you like seafood, you'll love SeaTac area. Good coffee, awesome hiking trails.

Last edited:
I grew up in WA state and returned from a 10 day motorcycle tour of the coast 2 days ago (portland, peninsula, Seattle and north). I had 3 hours of rain on the entire trip.

Jeddak is correct... but even though the area is rainy... it is not the same rain you get here. Compare to the Atlanta rain chart below.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/images/rtimages/ffc/climate_KATL_2013.png

In an average year, Atlanta gets much more rain (in inches). In the same average year you will have fewer sunny days and many more days with some precipitation in Seattle. You will find most rainy days in Seattle it just doesn't _dump_ like it does here with thunder and lighting and all.... Living there for 30 years, I'll take that kind of rain any day.

If you think you'll have freetime... there are all sorts of fun things to do. Look at carry laws...it is an open carry friendly state.... but likely, on y our trip, you won't be allowed to travel with anything or it will get locked up in your unit armory until you fly back.

I lived in Seattle for a while. It rains in western WA year around. In fall/winter, almost every other day. In the summer it is not bad.
It is on the windward side of the Rockies, so you will get more rain than Spokane, but tolerable.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/climate/yeardisp.php?wfo=sew&stn=KSEW&submit=Yearly+Charts

P.S. According to this, 2013 has been rainier than usual. If you have not already, you will appreciate Gore-Tex.
Great food. If you like seafood, you'll love SeaTac area. Goof coffee, awesome hiking trails.

I also lived out there for a while and Jeddak is right. The rain is constant but more like a drizzle, grey and overcast. Winters are mild and not much snow except in the passes. Scenery is beautiful but Seattle is the epicenter of liberism so avoid political conversations with civilians. Eastern Washington is 180 degrees opposite of Seattle. East is the paloose (desert) beautiful in it's own way and very conservative.

Yea, I'll take drizzle in Seattle over the weather we've been having.
Seattle is very liberal, but once you get past Everett, it is more rural and more conservative.
It seemed to have been overcast most of the time (or maybe we had so few sunny days, I forgot them :) )
Eastern WA, Spokane and Walla Walla, are beautiful. I had thought about Walla Walla for a while, but Seattle liberals decided it for me. Kinda like IL, one city destroys an entire state.

Last edited:
The list of places to visit is endless... city, beach, mountains, rain forest, desert

#2 state in breweries per capita
Columbia river gorge
Dry Falls & Lava fields
Paradise on Rainier, play int he snow
MT St Helens
Underground tour of Seattle
Say hello to Sylvester and Sylvia at ye old curiousity shop on the Seattle waterfront (they are always in the back)
EMP museum
Pike Place MArket in Seattle
Jimi Hendrix grave
Kurt Cobain memorial park in Aberdeen if you are out that way (he is in my yearbook, standing next to me on the wrestling team)
Rain Forest, largest recorded spruce tree... enchanted valley, hoh river valley, sol duc hot springs...
Fort Lewis military museum
Across the bridge into Portland
Over the border into Vancouver CA

... most of this is on just the western side.

As others have said above, the environment (natural and political) change drastically as you go inland.

Last edited:
Don't make him get his hopes up...he's not gonna have a lot - scratch, any - leisure time. I had a blast, but that was summer 1999...

Weather was fine.
Showers in the barracks were cold water only (no idea why?)
STX lanes were great. Lead when you're in charge, follow when you're not!
Don't fall asleep on the perimeter.
Have fun!!

The list of places to visit is endless... city, beach, mountains, rain forest, desert

Back
Top Bottom