• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

AGE?

I'd have thought 2.5. But I'm still learning.

Two questions to ask in general:

When do they start getting thicker around the neck?

I thought the antler spread wasn't indicative of age. Didn't UGA do a study to talk about diet, age, habitat, etc effecting antler spread? I know one of the oldest deer I've ever seen (grey and hobbling from arthritis) had a lot of points, but his rack was very much curled in tight.

I'd have thought 2.5. But I'm still learning.

Two questions to ask in general:

When do they start getting thicker around the neck?

I thought the antler spread wasn't indicative of age. Didn't UGA do a study to talk about diet, age, habitat, etc effecting antler spread? I know one of the oldest deer I've ever seen (grey and hobbling from arthritis) had a lot of points, but his rack was very much curled in tight.
Antler width, mass, etc... has many variables besides age. Genetics, nutrition, soils, lattitude etc...
The deer you describe was probably passed his prime and into decline. That RARELY happens in a free ranging huntable population.
The OP has a 4.5 year old deer. I'd bet my next paycheck on it.

Maybe he'll stick around. I know they sure are hammering the plots right now we planted. Tried Whitetail Institute this yr and followed the instructions and couldn't be happier with results and amount of deer traffic in these plots right now and they aren't but a month old. Pure attraction does exactly what the name says no doubt. Mixed in extra turnips for later also. Good mix and I usually don't go for the branded stuff. I'm in no way affiliated with the company also may I say just average Joe that is pleased with a product. I approve this message lol

Back
Top Bottom