AGI Gunsmith course

gatorfan605

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
29   0
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has used these guys. Are there any practicing Smith's that have gotten certification from them? How advanced do the lessons get? Are there any smiths that would hire someone with this certification? I've always been leary about online courses, but if they work why not.

It's really not worth the money, for the Master Gunsmith Course (last time I checked) cost over $4,500. Nothing substitutes for hands-on instruction, you can't learn how to be a gunsmith from a video. The AGI course is really nothing more than an introduction. If you really want to learn you have to find a good school. I would recommend the Colorado School of Trades (in CO of course) or secondly the Murray State College Gunsmith program in Oklahoma, or Montgomery Community College in North Carolina.

I don't know one practicing gunsmith who received their training from AGI. I've seen the videos and while they provide some solid basics, it would in no way prepare you to go to work as a smith, an apprentice maybe, but there would still be a lot to learn. I would probably not hire anyone to work in my shop who only had the AGI course under their belt.

Sorry to be a bubble breaker

Not a bubble breaker... that's pretty much what I was thinking.I totally agree with the hands on training..I wouldn't want a guy working on my gun that had never touched one.

Back
Top Bottom