Aguila .357 Magnum ballistics - wow!?

Hayata

Wolf Icon
Knock it off with them negative waves Moriarity!
180   0
Reaction score
Are these numbers correct?

Ballistics Information:
  • Muzzle Velocity: 1545 fps
  • Muzzle Energy: 838 ft. lbs.

Aguila 357 Mag 1E572823 158 gr SJSP 50 per box

Holy cow that is STOUT!

1E572823-2__32877.1526548067.jpg

I enjoy shooting Aguila's .22 ammo - wonder if this is any good?

And it looks like a good price at 36cents/rd before shipping.

https://www.outdoorlimited.com/agui...158-grain-semi-jacketed-soft-point-50-rounds/

Outdoorlimited has been my go-to for some time.

Anyone shoot this on a regular basis or how does this compare to the other stuff out on the market?

One buyer's experience:

I cannot recommend this ammunition because the velocity is nowhere in the same ballpark as what is listed, and it's not an error on the part of targetsportsusa, it's on Aguila because their website lists the same specs. I chronographed this ammo out of my 4" 686 an average of 1,080 fps, that's right-1,080! I don't know where they came up with 1,545 fps, but in an average handgun this stuff is at .38 Special+P level!

Try a box first before you buy a bunch.

A couple years ago, I was looking for a stout 158 gr hollowpoint load for a .357 with a 6" bbl.

I found a box in a gun store that said the velocity was 1540 ft/sec.
But it did not say from what length barrel, or what type of gun was used to get that speed.

So I researched other .357 loads that owners of chronographs had tested from their guns,
and I came to the conclusion that 1400 may be possibe, from a 6" revolver with a tight cylinder gap.
But 1500+ f.p.s. and 158 gr. slugs would have to mean the test gun was a carbine or rifle, and one without any clyinder gap to bleed off pressure.

Underwood usually lives up to their claims.

158gr xtp 1500fps most likely a 6" test barrel. They try to use common real world weapons.

357-magnum-158-grain-xtp-jacketed-hollow-point_500x_crop_center@2x.jpg

BRAND:UNDERWOOD AMMO

SKU:124

TECHNICAL INFORMATION
  • Caliber: 357 Magnum
  • Bullet Weight: 158 Grains
  • Bullet Style: Hornady XTP Jacketed Hollow Point
  • Case Type: Ducta-Bright 7a Nickel Plated Brass
BALLISTICS INFORMATION
  • Muzzle Velocity: 1500 fps
  • Muzzle Energy: 789 ft lbs

Elmer Keith loaded 357 magnum in the old school .

Alot of modern loads are neutered compared to his .

As an owner of 10mm I get the neutered part. I didn't know it was going on in the .357 Magnum realms as well.

Have a 16" lever action carbine I can't wait to shoot this ammo...just nothing to compare it to.

So I just googled this "aguila .357 magnum muzzle velocity" - and this thread showed up first!

Can anyone else get the same results with google?

Back
Top Bottom