AK jamming on charging

Smiley

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
58   0
Reaction score
So, I have a little under folder WASR that is a sentimental piece and I like to get it out every once in a while and sling some lead with it. I've started having a problem with it and I want to make sure I am addressing it correctly.

I seems when charging the bolt carrier jams when pulled all the way back. I can feel some rough edges right where the rails start in the receiver. Is it possible the bolt carrier is tilting at the very back and getting caught on the edge of the rail at the clearanced area for takedown? A quick slap to the side sends the bolt slamming shut and it cycles perfectly after the fact.

Should I remove a little material from the corners of the rail?

Is it getting stuck with a mag in while charging or does it do it when no mag inserted as well?

I had a similar issue. My issue was caused by my 30rnd mags accepting 31 rounds. Having that extra round kept the rounds from pushing down when the bolt rode back.

wait.....according to the AK experts on here, AKs are incapable of jamming....so is this a troll thread? :confused:

lol I would just lube her up and see if it still does it. but it does sound like a mag issue to me.

Does it without a mag in. Honestly looking at it again, I think I am just pulling the charging handle back too far. I wouldn't think I needed to be gentle with it, but taking the top cover off I can definitely see where I am pulling it back until the carrier is getting caught.

Is the bolt getting caught on the front side of the the hammer as its being cocked? Those Tapco G2 triggers often have a rough seam on them that the bolt gets caught on. You could try smoothing it out.

Does it without a mag in. Honestly looking at it again, I think I am just pulling the charging handle back too far. I wouldn't think I needed to be gentle with it, but taking the top cover off I can definitely see where I am pulling it back until the carrier is getting caught.

It's normal if it happens when you are doing it by hand. It should smooth out over time. I can usually do it with any AK if I bring it back easily. Now if it happens when you are firing, you have a problem.

Here is a pic I found online of what I'm talking about.
chrisaukamp.files.wordpress.com_2014_01_img_0148.jpg

Put a recoil buffer in it. Cheap fix.

The buffer will prevent the bolt carrier from going all the way back and getting stuck.

Back
Top Bottom