• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

AK47 Help

stalker1911

Default rank <500 posts Supporter
Survivalist
5   0
Reaction score
Ok, I know this has been done to death but I would like a little advice from all the Ak pros on here. I already have a AR platform that I love but now I want to add an Ak to my collection. I want to keep it clean ie: Iron sights etc. Not alot of bling like my AR. Simple in other words. I did have a SKS at one time that was a blast to shoot. It really wasnt what I wanted. My price range would be $500 - $700. I had thought about buying a Saiga and having it converted. Thoughts ? Thanks and I hope everyone had a great Christmas.

I don't think I'd do a Saiga conversion unless you are into that kinda work (I've seen some nice ones). For the $700 range you might be able to find a nice older yugo, norinco or many a low end Arsenal. If you could work into the 900 dollar range you would have an easier time finding a nice one :)

You should be able to find Norinco Mak 90 ,Romy Sar-1 or even a nice Yugo M70 underfolder for the price range your in ...

Best of luck and post up some pics when you hit paydirt ;]

Ok, I know this has been done to death but I would like a little advice from all the Ak pros on here. I already have a AR platform that I love but now I want to add an Ak to my collection. I want to keep it clean ie: Iron sights etc. Not alot of bling like my AR. Simple in other words. I did have a SKS at one time that was a blast to shoot. It really wasnt what I wanted. My price range would be $500 - $700. I had thought about buying a Saiga and having it converted. Thoughts ? Thanks and I hope everyone had a great Christmas.

You sound a lot like me.

I have an AR (or two) which I like to play around with, but those suckers are finicky. A magazine can cause problems, ammo can cause problems, too little cleaning can cause problems, too little oil can cause problems.... and such and so. The AR is great for what it is, but it just can't hold a candle to a good AK in terms of functionality. They are just in a different league.

One of my favorite things about the AK is that you can feed it whatever crap ammo you want, and attach any craphole clip from any damn where, and it will just happily keep shooting right along. I have yet to see an AR which would even come close to those requirements. The AR is a beautiful piece of engineering, but the AK is a sherman tank. It just rocks and keeps rocking! It will not let you down.

If you want to go the Saiga route, you should get an Arsenal. The are a pretty good deal. (And I have heard that doing that conversion on a Saiga yourself is not much fun. Not trivial.)

I personally went the Mak 90 route. I love those things! You can change out a part or two (to make it 922r complaint,) ditch that stupid thumbhole stock, and you have one beautiful boomstick! I even have a WASR-and I guess I got a good one, cause it shoots well, and seems to function fine.

Anyhow, you will find that an AK is orders of magnitude better than an SKS.... I am just not a fan of those things. The design of the AK is so much more robust-and you don't have to fool with silly stripper clips!

-Bottom line-The AK is probably still the best value in firearms. Nothing fancy, but it will keep you happy with very little effort. You will not be able to make it stop working.

Last edited:
From my experiance, Norinco or Arsenal is the only way to go. I had alot of jamming issues w/ WASR's and yugo's. I have a MAK 90 now and haven't had any issues. Christmas was great but I sure am glad it's over. lol

Back
Top Bottom