Allatoona Hybrids.

Never caught them in GA or fished for them in GA, caught a ton on lake Texoma a few years ago.. we used a lure called a gollywhopper, basically a weighted float with two white jigs you would cast into the school, would often catch two at a time..

Never caught them in GA or fished for them in GA, caught a ton on lake Texoma a few years ago.. we used a lure called a gollywhopper, basically a weighted float with two white jigs you would cast into the school, would often catch two at a time..

Sounds like a mini Umbrella rig..

Has anyone caught them schooling top water in evenings? Happens about this time. Very fun.

Getting into a school of surfacing hybrids is a lot of fun. I've caught a few at Toona in the fall using popping corks and small jigs. Many years ago my wife and I would slay them on summer evenings when large schools would push up shad to the surface, throwing Blue Fox spinners on light spinning gear. It was mayhem for a few minutes, but eventually some idiot would always come flying in, set down close to the school, and then wonder why the school disappeared. :confused2:

Carters has been growing some big hybrids the last few years. I don't fish Carters much in the summer but I don't think there's the level of top water schooling seen on Toona and West Point. But if you hang a hybrid on Carters chances are good it will be a pig. I've seen pics of several hog hybrids in recent years. I managed to get a nice 11 pounder trolling an alewife around long shallow points around Memorial day a couple of years ago, and had a chunky 9 pounder a few months ago on a downlined trout.

Those bigger hybrids just don't know when to stop fighting. Big ones on big baits, or non stop small ones on artificials in a top water frenzy - I don't care. They're a blast wither way.

Back
Top Bottom