• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ammo Sightings - Post All Ammo Sightings Here

As far as steel cased ammo tearing a gun to pieces - Ruger did have a line in the Mini 30 manual warning against the use of steel cased ammo, or at least they used to. It MAY be true that steel is rougher on firing pins, extractors, and ejectors, but it would take far more rounds than most people shoot to pose a real problem, and those parts are easily replaceable at minimal cost. I've shot thousands and thousands of rounds and never had a problem. I do clean and inspect regularly, particularly the extractors. The only firearms I do not shoot steel in are USGI surplus M1 Carbines - a lot of folks do and there have been reports of broken or chipped extractors, but most of these old guns have already fired countless thousands of rounds already and some have worn parts, parts that are gradually becoming less available and more expensive. Some have reported problems running steel in the FAL family of rifles - I don't own one and cannot speak with any experience in that situation.

I know guys on HRT/SWAT teams that run steel cased .223 through all kinds of full auto ARs and HKs suppressed and standard with no problems so far, and they shoot a lot. The same with their issued Glocks.

Just maintain and inspect your weapons and maybe keep spare firing pins, extractors, and ejectors on hand. Of course, your mileage may vary.
The Mini 30 issue was with their older series barrels. They were .308 diameter and the 7.62x39 steel/russian stuff used a .311 diameter bullet while USA brass cased used a .308 bullet. Newer Mini 30s have a .311 diameter barrel. I learned this the hard way and got a case stuck in my chamber. Sold the rifle not long after that.

Back
Top Bottom