Ammo Storage - Closet Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave1210

Default rank <1000 posts Lifetime Supporter
Frontiersman
212   0
Reaction score
I have a bedroom closet dedicated to storing ammo and accessories. I wish I had a gun room but I don't. The closet is fairly shallow and a safe won't fit in it. Have any of you stored ammo like that and if so, I'm looking for ideas on what you may have built or bought to make the organization better. My storage is a bit of a cluster and I'm trying to figure out a system. Thought I'd ask for examples and ideas before I reinvent the wheel for no reason. Thanks!

I have the same issue, this is what I’m using for the time being. I have 3-4 ammo cans per row with 1k in each can

1693143127232.jpeg

I have the same issue, this is what I’m using for the time being. I have 3-4 ammo cans per row with 1k in each can

View attachment 6143452

That's exactly what I have installed.

It's fully loaded up with full 50cal ammo cans and it's holding up great. If there was one thing I wish was different is that the dimensions make it stand out further from the wall than I really like, but all in all it's a far better solution than building a set of shelves using dimensional lumber for the frame.

Installed (and leveled) properly, those shelves will be strong enough for the job, and they're relatively inexpensive.

Edit: Of course, my shelves aren't chromed. They're black. Because chrome is flashy and ghetto AF and black is all tactical an' sheit.

If a metal shelving unit from Costco/Sam's will fit somewhere, they're perfect, as long as they're medium to heavy on sturdiness.

ETA - If they won't fit, DIY shelving might be a good option too.

Just to explain MY thinking on the homegrown solution vs steel racks ...

If you build something out of wood, you're likely to be using 2x4s or something like that, with bracing and MDF or plywood shelves - which take up more space than a metal structure. So for a given volume of closet space, more of it is being taken up by the shelving structure, AND it's likely to be more permanent. And with current cost of lumber, it might come in considerably more expensive than a flat-pack metal shelving system.

View attachment 6143452
I found two of these sitting next to a dumpster behind a PetSmart once. They were upgrading their overstock storage and threw out the old. It was a Friday afternoon and I guess the kid taking them apart to throw in the dumpster just set the last two outside and went home.
I kept them in my shed with tools and materials on them, they held up well. Especially since they were free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom