Ankle Carry Advice Please

Thanks for the quick responses. Ankle carry really is my my only option. Sit in a vehicle for 12 hours a day. I know I can pull off a 380 but that get off me extra punch of a 9 would be nice.

I carried a Glock 27 on my ankle for over a decade in a Galco Ankle Glove. Still have the same holster, and about to go back to using it with a Glock 26.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a fan of ankle carry, but I get it if that's your only choice.

If you go with a 380 I highly recommend the Hornady 90 grain XTP. Last time I checked it's the only 380 load that passes the FBI standard for expansion and penetration. With all the others you either get the penetration or the expansion, but not both.

You asked for some real world experience and I have some. As a young officer I tried vest carrying my BUG, but it proved to be less than desirable. I finally went with ankle carry and carried my Shield 9 in a Desantis Apache ankle holster. Same set up as you are looking at; Right handed, carrying on my left ankle, gun on inside. The holster was wrapped over the top of my 5.11 ATAC duty boots. Most days I forgot it was there. I got my draw down to right at 2 seconds, standing to trigger pulled. I carried that way for over 2 years where I was in numerous foot pursuits that included scaling fences, jumping ditches, etc. I was also easily in half a dozen or more fights with suspects with most ending on the ground. The holster never budged and I never had the gun dislodge or move.

Ankle carry is not ideal by any measure, but if I ever have to go back to it, what I mentioned above will be the way I go.

Back
Top Bottom