Another caliber on the bench

medium187mph

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
218   0
Reaction score
Finally loading a new caliber on the bench today.

The dreaded .40S&W

Spent about 20 min on 3 dummy rounds to verify OAL function in barrels and mags. Cases cycle freely as well as sit at proper depth on the barrels.

I’ve got a good bit of 155gr XTP’s from a few years ago and they will send just fine with a few grains of CFE Pistol. Looking forward to cranking a few out for the backyard on Sunday.

01094C46-2577-4901-885D-648054EB23CE.jpeg

Finally loading a new caliber on the bench today.

The dreaded .40S&W

Spent about 20 min on 3 dummy rounds to verify OAL function in barrels and mags. Cases cycle freely as well as sit at proper depth on the barrels.

I’ve got a good bit of 155gr XTP’s from a few years ago and they will send just fine with a few grains of CFE Pistol. Looking forward to cranking a few out for the backyard on Sunday.

View attachment 3102527
Hell ya,great round,10mm short,or 9mm long.lol

Never owned a .40, but never understood the hate it got either. I still hear “high pressure” round being parroted even though it’s near identical to the 9.

Never owned a .40, but never understood the hate it got either. I still hear “high pressure” round being parroted even though it’s near identical to the 9.
It was always a compromise caliber for the LE agencies, but a darling of the USPSA Limited crowd. You could load it to major PF, it was cheap to load compared to 38 super and you could put more in a mag than 45ACP. Although with the LE agencies switching to 9, all that cheap brass is going to dry up.

Welcome to one of the most versatile rounds, and one with a lot of free brass left on the range.

Load it down 9mm power, and easily up to 45ACP power.

Back
Top Bottom