Another SHTF question!

I have a lot of .22s but I have more 5.56. Paranoid I guess.

I have lots of both and a few other choice rounds. But, when you can buy 500 rounds off 22 for $20.00 stoking up on them is easy. LOL! It seems like every time I walk into someplace that sells bricks of 22 I walk out with one. Obviously not all of my 22 ammo is subsonic.

Part of me wonders if this thread wasn't started as troll bait, but I'll bite anyway ;) Should we enter WROL society, there would be a plentiful amount of 5.56 (both ammo and mags) lying around in lots of places that would be compatible with a traditional AR build...probably the same thing can be said of the AK, although those stashes wouldn't be as protected I'd imagine. Ultimately, the most important weapon to take with you when the SHTF is your collective experience and judgement. One mind, any weapon.

As to the 5.56 vs. 7.62 question, I'll echo what has been previously said. Dead is dead. Either round placed in any given vital area will take down the target. In a WROL situation, I'm not taking a shot past 200m so the extended range of the 7.62x51 doesn't help me. I'm hunkering down, establishing a perimeter and making sure everyone I don't know stays the foxtrot off my lawn. Over.

Part of me wonders if this thread wasn't started as troll bait, but I'll bite anyway ;) Should we enter WROL society, there would be a plentiful amount of 5.56 (both ammo and mags) lying around in lots of places that would be compatible with a traditional AR build...probably the same thing can be said of the AK, although those stashes wouldn't be as protected I'd imagine. Ultimately, the most important weapon to take with you when the SHTF is your collective experience and judgement. One mind, any weapon.

As to the 5.56 vs. 7.62 question, I'll echo what has been previously said. Dead is dead. Either round placed in any given vital area will take down the target. In a WROL situation, I'm not taking a shot past 200m so the extended range of the 7.62x51 doesn't help me. I'm hunkering down, establishing a perimeter and making sure everyone I don't know stays the foxtrot off my lawn. Over.

I hear ya loud and clear on that one! Im curious as to what you mean by troll bait???

So you're saying that when you are at war and fighting for your life you're OK with the idea of taking fire while you get within 100 yards so you can kill the guy shooting at you with a 22lr hit to the eye? GO FOR IT! BAHAHAHAHA!!!!! I'll be happy to just kill him while he's 500 meters out with a round through his vehicle door and into his torso.
He won't know I'm even there if I let him get that close. That's the trick brother! ;) BTGTBTS.

Hyper velocity??!! Not from a 22lr.

As I have said before in this thread. The last thing I want is a bullet doing random and unpredictable things when it hits the target. I'd much prefer one that consistently puts nice big holes right through the middle of the target. If you see a lot of people killed on the street by 22s, it's because they're small and cheap. Not because they are effective. Do you actually believe that a light, barely supersonic projectile is the best for stopping an attacker?

Um. yes. likely.

Hyper velocityMany .22 LR cartridges use bullets lighter than the standard 40-grain (2.6 g), fired at even higher velocities. Hyper velocity bullets usually weigh around 30-grain (1.9 g) to 32-grain (2.1 g) and can have a muzzle velocity of 1,400 feet per second (430 m/s) to 1,800 feet per second (550 m/s). This higher velocity is partially due to the use of lighter bullets.

The CCI Stinger was the first hyper velocity .22 LR cartridge, and provided a significant increase in velocity and energy over standard .22 LR rounds. The Stinger case is longer than that of the Long Rifle (approx. .71 inches (18 mm) versus .595 inches (15.1 mm) for the Long Rifle) but the plated hollow point bullet is lighter and shorter at 32-grain (2.1 g), giving the same overall length as the Long Rifle cartridge. A powder with a slower burning rate is used to make the most use of the length of a rifle barrel.[citation needed] Most .22 Long Rifle powders increase velocity up to about 19 inches (480 mm) of barrel length; the powder used in the Stinger increases velocity up to the longest .22 barrel length tested by the NRA, 26 inches (660 mm).[citation needed]

Later hyper velocity rounds were introduced by other makers based on the Long Rifle case with lighter bullets in the 30-grain (1.9 g) weight range and slow burning rifle powder loadings. The overall length of many of these cartridges was less than the standard overall length of the standard Long Rifle.[citation needed] One example was the Remington Viper, another is the Federal Spitfire.

The CCI Velocitor hyper velocity round uses the standard Long Rifle case size and a standard weight 40-grain (2.6 g) bullet of proprietary hollow point design to augment expansion and trauma for hunting. This cartridge has a muzzle velocity of 1,435 feet per second (437 m/s). Due to the better ratio of bullet mass to air resistance, Velocitor performs better at longer range compared to the light bullets of other hyper velocity rounds.[citation needed]

READ my friend. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Long_Rifle#Hyper_velocity

Back
Top Bottom