• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Another snake ID thread

EM98XJ

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
21   0
Reaction score
Any idea what this guy is? Found him inside the building at work.

20150827_160024.jpg
20150827_160043.jpg

Thats a beautiful little Grey Rat snake. Great to have around.
It's actually a black ratsnake. (at least mostly) They don't always turn black. Some keep the pattern for life...possibly from mixing with other ratsnake species with random frequency. 2 solid black rats might produce offspring that don't turn black ...again possibly from great great grandpa getting it on with a cornsnake or some other ratsnake. True gray ratsnakes aka oaksnakes are a paler gray with pale gray head and eyes. They are nowhere near as contrasty as an adult fully patterned black rat like the one pictured. Also, you have to go a little further south usually before you start seeing grays unless by chance they get transplanted. I caught a gray ratsnake in Douglasville behind Timber Ridge stables when I was a kid. I kept him as a pet for a year or so and released him back behind one of the barns there. I'm guessing he hitched a ride in a shipment of hay from somewhere down south. That happens fairly often. I also caught a pygmy rattlesnake in the early 80s right in front of the crystal pistol at six flags. I'm guessing that little guy rode in on a produce truck from Florida.

Back
Top Bottom