• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Antler growth during the "off season"

sambo77

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
141   0
Reaction score
Do any of yall feed the deer on yalls property special feed or plant summer plots for better growth? I've decided this next spring and summer I'm gonna try my hand at seating something up so the buck herd will grow a little bigger than without supplemental feed. If yall do what is some good feeds or seed combinations to use?

I feed them a protein supplement starting in the spring. Mix in a little corn too
what type of supplement? I've heard of sweet feed 1 bag and 2 bags of corn in a trough feeder but my concern with doing that is the molasses molding and fermenting with the corn as well as not enough nutrients.

Our property in pine mountain is right next to the Strickland sod farms. These are the guys that make buck muscle. Everything I’ve seen and personal stories from people with trail camera picks is that this stuff is legit. Build you some covered troughs and set it out. It works.

what type of supplement? I've heard of sweet feed 1 bag and 2 bags of corn in a trough feeder but my concern with doing that is the molasses molding and fermenting with the corn as well as not enough nutrients.
I can’t recall the brand, but it pelletized. You’d want to use a gravity feeder and keep as dry as possible.... not good when the moisture hits it

We start protein feeding the week after gun season is over in January, and continue till spring "green up" in April. We use Apple Valiey protein feed made in Gray Georgia. We plant our food plots with Whitetail Institute perennial seed for feeding year round, corn and molasses has no protein value for deer, just an attractant.

Cotton seed meal is a good addictive. I use that in the winter to give my cows a boost. I think it would help deer to.

Back
Top Bottom